07 5.4 expedition rough idles in park and in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lando_l44

Reaction score
The 2007 had the notorious "two-part" spark plugs that are hard has **** to remove. It's quite possible they were never ever changed. Drive it and try to get it to give you a code. If it's any code involving a miss, get at least one plug out to look at its condition and consider changing them all. That's the simplist place to start.

Some better code readers will give you a "balance" reading that will tell you exactly which cylinders are misfiring and how often. That would save you from pulling a plug to check or trying to get an OBD code out of it.
Thanks i will try to get a code..and if you can could you recommend a code reader worth buying

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks i will try to get a code..and if you can could you recommend a code reader worth buying

Well, ForScan is free and it's specifically built for Fords. You need a laptop and a USB to OBDII adapter. The Lite version will work on your phone but doesn't have all the test features that the laptop version has. Second choice would be BlueDriver. The software is free but you need their proprietary OBDII bluetooth adapter ( $99 on Amazon ). Third choice would be Autel FX6000 . If you're a computer geek the clone version of Ford's Factor IDS software and adapter module works well but is more involved to get it working right.

ForScan Download Page

Glen B Ashcroft

Reaction score
i have an 2007 as well, the darn hoses to the rear heat leaked bad and ruined a coil, replaced them all with some of amazon for less then 1 oem, runs great, i would replace all the hose parts and o rings on the rear heat fittings, also have you done the timing chain stuff yet?

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While everyone is talking coil issues I’m gonna dumb it down to an air pocket. Did you bleed the engine cooling system after installing the new radiator? Could be an air pocket in there causing those crazy issues. Kinda weird that you had none of those symptoms, and now this. The antifreeze smell could be the coolant trying to pass, but it’s passage could be full of air. Just a guess.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
…when i pulled the coil off-the spring inside that makes contact with the spark plug pulled out and broke so i replaced it
I recommend using spark plug boot grease to keep the two surfaces from bonding. This will prevent pulling/ yanking on that semi-fragile coil-over-plug boot in the future.

Thing is, if all you did was pull it, and replaced it should be no crazy issues. Hmmm

smahaffy

Reaction score
My 07 had the same issue. Check your codes.
1. My MAF went bad.
2. My Catalytic Converter clogged.
the backup bogged down the engine.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine ran like that when the big vacuum line got knocked off the back of the intake manifold when I did the torque converter

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also what about your vacuum hubs controls? Vacuum resevoir and solenoid properly hooked up? All that had to come off if you did the radiator.