07 EB Expedition lag/hesitates under WOT with K&N CAI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bedrck46

well my 2 cents tells me your problems started when you installed the k&n kit as you stated it didn't do it with the stock intake Now that tells me either you did something wrong or something is wrong with the kit or something else is your problem or that you are the problem I realize you are impressed with the sound but being your wife is the main driver you should do as I suggested and let her feel the hesitation that wasn't there before and listen to her opinion

B

bedrck46

now think of it this way You wife is out in the expy and all of a sudden she comes upon a situation in which she needs to floor it in order to avoid a possible accident and then the expy hesitates and she thinks something went wrong and she panics because she wasn't use to the hesitation. Is your wife's safety less important than the macho sound you enjoy

NMExpi

Reaction score
I did unplug the battery when I first installed the k&n cai but I'll try doing this again when I get home today.

A dirty maf can also cause this sort of issue. Fuel filter and sea foam will help ford recommends every 15k on fuel filters, depepending on condition of fuel and region. Where are you located? which year is your expi? the 5.4 isn't bad to do spark plugs on unless you have a mid 2000's with the 3 valve head. those are the ones to worry about they have a tendency of plugs rusting in the head and breaking upon removal. if it is a 3 valve I would recommend taking it to a dealer becuase there is a specialty tool that has to be used to remove the broken plugs. Also if you do the plugs yourself it is recommended to do them after the motor is at operating temp (the aluminum in the heads is softer less likely to break a plug), and spray a penetrating oil down into the plugs once you get the coil packs out to help ease of removal as well.

OP
OP
1mpg

1mpg

Reaction score
A dirty maf can also cause this sort of issue. Fuel filter and sea foam will help ford recommends every 15k on fuel filters, depepending on condition of fuel and region. Where are you located? which year is your expi? the 5.4 isn't bad to do spark plugs on unless you have a mid 2000's with the 3 valve head. those are the ones to worry about they have a tendency of plugs rusting in the head and breaking upon removal. if it is a 3 valve I would recommend taking it to a dealer becuase there is a specialty tool that has to be used to remove the broken plugs. Also if you do the plugs yourself it is recommended to do them after the motor is at operating temp (the aluminum in the heads is softer less likely to break a plug), and spray a penetrating oil down into the plugs once you get the coil packs out to help ease of removal as well.

Im from CT and I have the 3v engine in my 2007. The hesitation thing isn't that bad at all that can cause driving problems like hard take offs. I had a 2000 expedition prior this one and that thing would dangerously hesitate sometimes so it turned out to be a fuel pump issue. I have a friend with a 04 f150 and a k&n cai that tells me his truck also gets those lag kicks like if the truck needs more fuel or something. In no way is my truck a danger for the road I just thought I'd post in here to see if there was a solution for this. The truck is coming at 10k miles while in my possession so I will change the fuel filter and probably call a dealer for a spark plug replacement quote. I think those plugs are factory parts so I'm not taking any chance on them and I'll let the experts handle it.