100K vs 150K mile Expedition only used for boat towing on weekend, also years to aviod?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenRoomSon

Reaction score
Hello,
I have had Escapes and Explorers that made it past 250K miles but have no experience with the Expeditions. I want the Expedition to tow a 7000 lb loaded boat and trailer. It will not be a daily driver. It appears I can get 3rd gen Expeditions with ~150K miles for half what those with ~100K have. Given my positive experience with my other Ford SUVs I was thinking that 150K Expedition will last for many years for my intended purpose. Is the money saved from the extra miles going to bite me?

Also I see many conflicting reports on 3rd generation Expedition years to Avoid. Are there years to avoid in those that have high mileage?

Thanks in advance

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would avoid 2005-2008 due to the two piece spark plug fiasco. I think they made a change mid 2008 but I don't know how you could verify.

Then I would be wary of a 150K engine unless you have a good idea of the maintenance history and oil change intervals. This because of timing chain and cam follower wear issues.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I've had zero towing issues with either my former 2007 Expedition which had 175,000 miles on it when I traded for my current 2017 towing our 6000+ travel trailer which only has 35,000 miles on it currently. Both have the 6-speed transmission and HD Tow option. 3.5 EcoBoost (3.3 axles) tows much better than the 5.4 V8 (3.73 axles) for some reason. Probably the torque curves. Highly recommend the 3.5EB engine and integrated brake controller. HD Tow is mandatory for these weights.

My sample of 1. :)

-- Chuck

Speed 330

Reaction score
Hello,
I have had Escapes and Explorers that made it past 250K miles but have no experience with the Expeditions. I want the Expedition to tow a 7000 lb loaded boat and trailer. It will not be a daily driver. It appears I can get 3rd gen Expeditions with ~150K miles for half what those with ~100K have. Given my positive experience with my other Ford SUVs I was thinking that 150K Expedition will last for many years for my intended purpose. Is the money saved from the extra miles going to bite me?

Also I see many conflicting reports on 3rd generation Expedition years to Avoid. Are there years to avoid in those that have high mileage?

Thanks in advance
Not to worry if they're well taken care of they'll go well past 300,000

C Trost

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks in advance
Do not get Exoedition with the 5.4L 3-valve abomination of an engine. With 100k+ miles you will need to replace the engine shortly. It has multiple gross deficiencies. There are a multitude of youtube videos from numerous mechanics about how bad this engine is. I second all their info.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3V, I wouldn't buy one with 150k unless it was really cheap. There are a lot on the used market with failed engines in the 150-200k range.