2020 King Ranch Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigCat5252

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New Expedition owner here with questions about towing. I am having trouble confirming if my 2020 King Ranch Expedition has the HD towing package. I was told by the dealer that it did, but from what I am reading online, I am not sure. The axle ratio is 3.13 and I do not see the trailer braking system I have read is supposed to be in there if the HD towing is on the vehicle. I intend to purchase a travel trailer and would like to tow it with the expedition, but want to make sure I buy a camper that is the proper weight for the vehicle I have. I have attached pictures of the info sticker from the door jam in hopes that someone on here can help me decipher what I've got. In the event that I do not have the HD tow package, I know the max towing capacity of the vehicle is 6000 lb, but is it really safe to pull something that nears the 6000, or should I aim to be quite a bit below that number. Also, If the HD towing package is not on there, does anyone have any tips on things I can have added to the vehicle to potentially increase the towing capacity or at least make it safer to tow near the weight limit? I am new to these vehicles and pretty new to towing so any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

Attachments

• Expedition Tag.PNG
    Expedition Tag.PNG
    414.9 KB · Views: 14

hoodie

Reaction score
Although I don't know if you have the HD towing package, I have an Expedition without the towing package, same axle, and can tell you it tows 6000 lbs quite easily. The only upgrade I did was purchase an OEM trailer brake controller for ~$100. I installed it myself, and had the dealer enable it for me when I went in for my regular service. They charged me around $150.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Happy Dog

Reaction score
Our 2020 with the HD tow package has the knob used for the trailer backup system and just below that the trailer brake control levers.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tow package includes trailer brake controller, 7-pin connector, tow-haul selector, 3.73 gearing.

C Trost

Reaction score
You do not have the HD tow pkg with the 3.31. You are limited to 6000 lb tow cap. However, most likely less than that since the GVWR (truck + trailer will be less. Truck cargo cap will be less. So with truck, pass. & cargo, hitch wt + trailer wt, you most likely can‘t tow 6k. Furthermore if you have trouble /accident and over weight insurance or warranty will not cover it.