10R80 Fluid Change Project Creep, New PPE pan.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These pans are still very expensive but pretty cool! I still have couple of other upgrades before this one.

By the way, I always extract the fluid from the fill hole using a vacuum pump. I get around 6.5 quarts out using this method. Then dump the same volume back in.
Since the OEM is throw away, this mod will eventually pay for itself, depending on how often you do fluid changes.

@Wangle I checked with PPE and even though they didn't list the high capacity for our vehicles, they replied to my email saying it should work. Any reason you see from this experiment why it wouldn't work?

OP
OP
W

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did use a pump to drain the pan before I pulled it. Saves a big mess! But be careful! Only putting back in what came out only works if it was filled properly at the factory. This was my first one that wasn’t correct, and I have done many, including several CVT’s.

OP
OP
W

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the OEM is throw away, this mod will eventually pay for itself, depending on how often you do fluid changes.

@Wangle I checked with PPE and even though they didn't list the high capacity for our vehicles, they replied to my email saying it should work. Any reason you see from this experiment why it wouldn't work?
I didn’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work. From my understanding PPE increased clearances on the high capacity pan fixing a potential problem I saw in the F150 forum. Just be sure you get the improved design if you go this route.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know. I don't do big towing so might not see the benefit, but figured it'd run a little cooler and let the fluid stay good for longer if there's more to go around. Will probably still go with the standard one but was curious. Thanks for the update.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all. 2018 Limited, 26k miles. I tow a 7k lb trailer, so severe duty schedule. I have always been a big believer in fluid changes at the earlier recommended intervals. The transmission temperatures were running a little high for my liking with shorter trip moderate use, 224° or so. I upgraded to the newer design thermostat, which is being sold as 190° down from 195°, but is marked as 90.6°C. (which is 195°F) I have noted this in another post. Small improvement in temperature, but I’ve only had one run. 218° spike, trying to run at 216°.
As everyone is probably aware, stock is a plastic transmission pan with no drain plug. I am generally lazy, so I want a freaking drain plug. Decided to upgrade to a PPE transmission pan, and replace the filter and seals while I was in there. I am also hoping the aluminum pan with the cooling fins will dissipate heat better than the stock pan. The PPE pan was too thick at the end by the exhaust to fit so I had to remove the transmission mount bolts to get separation. Nutshell, do everything in this AWESOME video!!
My transmission was between 1 and 1.5 quarts LOW on fluid from the factory, by dipstick and measurement. No leaks, and I had never checked it. I didn’t know if there was a drain plug down there. I recommend checking yours at the next oil change! 6.5 qts out, 7.75 qts in. This would certainly make it run somewhat hotter. I ended up leaving it sit for almost 24 hours with the pan tacked on to keep the dust out. To my surprise about one additional quart was in the pan when removed. So I recommend letting it drip/drain for a day when you change it. You are supposed to check the fluid level when it is at 206°. After completion I took it on a 20 mile test run, with a few quick stops for heat soak in 88° weather. The top temperature was 194° for just a few seconds. It wanted to run at 190°, so I never got to 206°, but close enough. I put the fluid level right in the middle of the “B“ range. I was surprised to learn that it was only 1/2 quart of fluid between the top and the bottom of the “B” range. Of note, this was the dirtiest looking Tran fluid I have ever drained. At only 26k!!
Here is what you will need.

(328053210) PPE pan. High capacity is also available.
7T4Z-7Z302-A, Filter Seal
FT-215 (L1MZ-7A098-A) Trans Filter
Save a little money and use this kit for your pipe seals.
5L7Z-7J302-AA
8 qts Mercon ULV

I am planning a 1500 miles towing vacation, and I will post results from the trip in a few weeks.

View attachment 77895
View attachment 77893View attachment 77897View attachment 77898
Great write-up! Thank you! I have had the PPE pan and all of the parts sitting in the garage for weeks waiting for me to get a round to-it. You've inspired me. The let it sit for a day to get another quart out is especially useful.

OP
OP
W

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Long towing trip, about 7500 lb travel trailer, observations:
The high temperature on this day was 95°, quartering 25 mph headwind. Speed 65 mph. Transmission temperatures were lower by 4-6°, not as much as I was hoping for. She wanted to run at 212°. We had a few moderate inclines, and the high was 224°. It would slowly come back down to 212°. I noticed it cooled off more quickly during our frequent gas stops but I don’t have any hard data. That was unexpected, but makes sense with with the aluminum pan with fins. MPG averaged barely over 8, so she was working pretty hard. All in all, really glad I did this mod.

OP
OP
W

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The trip home went better. Daytime highs in the low 80’s. Still had a 25 mph head wind from the south east. Had two checks under 7 mpg, So she was working harder than before. It amazes me that it seems like she is pulling the load so easily but uses so much fuel. I never saw a transmission temp higher than 216°, even with some long inclines. Mostly flat though, I 90/I80 Devils Tower to Des Moines Iowa. It was typically 208° – 210°. I was very happy with that! The last two mpg checks at 65 mph were 8.2 and 8.5, always premium fuel, running after the sun went down. Transmission temps were a consistent 208°.

Last edited:

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a little bit thicker, because the aluminum is a little thicker than the plastic. It is hard to tell because of the contours, and I did not do a fluid test, but basic measurements comparing the two pans on the inside seem to be the same.
Just a thought to help cool the trans. I've used a double deep pan to increase the amount of fluid on diesel pickups.

andyak

Reaction score
Did you reuse the stock bolts on the pan and torque to the higher value specified for the new pan? F150 forum read a guy broke bolt at higher torque...

"
Well this is certainly a fun project. I would have gotten everything done but ran into a snag with the PPE transmission pan install. Stock torque specs for the transmission pan is 106 inch pounds for the studs and 89 inch pounds for the bolts. The PPE instructions said to tighten everything to 18-22 foot pounds.

That is a lot more torque on the flimsy stock bolts so I figured I'd give one a try. When torquing down, it did not feel right and sure enough snapped the bolt at 12 foot pounds."

TIA Andy

bshowalter

Reaction score
Just completed this same update on my '19 with 53k miles this weekend. Thanks to @Wangle for the tips. Big takeaway up front, check your transmission fluid level. Mine was also about 1.5 quarts low from the factory. I'm wondering if all these transmission issues being posted could be a result of low fluid.

I warmed the transmission temp up to around 170* (supposed to be 206*) before starting and checked the fluid level. It wasn't on the dipstick. I used a Mityvac to pull about 4 qts of fluid out through the fill / check hole prior to starting, this saved a bigger mess. I got about 1.5 more quarts out after dropping the pan and pulling the filter. Total 5.5 qts drained. Only a small amount of very fine glitter on the stock pan magnet. All looked good but fluid was very dark.

Raising the transmission up to fit the new PPE pan is by far the most annoying part. Make sure you have multiple universal joints and extensions for a 15mm socket. A 15mm flex head ratcheting wrench was also helpful. The Ford Tech Youtube video in the first post details how to do this. I used the stock torque values (106 & 89 in lbs) and a new gasket on the new pan. No leaks.

It took 7qts of new fluid to fill. I got it up to 192* on the test drive and that put it between 5-6 on the dipstick.

My only transmission issue has been an occasional very harsh shift from P to R on first start up. I'm hoping getting the fluid level correct will resolve this.

One question for @Wangle, did you have any clearance issues with the cooler lines and the new pan? The hard cooler pipe on the drivers side that crosses over to the pass side is touching the fins on the new pan. Seems like this could be an issue with rubbing. I tried adjusting the mounting a few times but couldn't gain any clearance. I'm going to order some HDPE spiral wrap to protect it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire