16-year old son deployed the front airbags - where is the RCM module?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, everyone was OK - neighborhood incident where my son was driving our/his 2001 Exp and hit the back of a new Lexus SUV at 10mph. I'm surprised the bags deployed... But since they did, we spent a few hours at the wrecking yard today getting the airbags and one of the seatbelts we needed. I was going to pull the RCM from my truck to have it reprogrammed, but I didn't find it under the center console.

Is the RCM (airbag control module) in the RH kick panel? Or maybe somewhere else?

One more question for you guys... does this 2001 truck have impact sensors behind the rear bumper on the frame rails? I'm not seeing them. Several of the trucks I looked at in the wrecking yard had a LH and RH module on the frame rails. They could've been '97-00s, however.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found the RCM. It's behind the driver's side of the console under the dash. Two green bolts hold it in place and it slides out toward the LH side. Two plugs to remove.

That leaves my last question. Where are the impact sensors on this truck? thanks!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copied from the 2001 Ford Service Manual

For this vehicle the SRS employs three impact sensors. One of the sensors is integral to the RCM and is not separately serviceable. In addition there are two side impact sensors located on the driver and passenger B-pillars . The RCM is mounted on the center tunnel under the instrument panel. Mounting orientation is critical for correct operation of all impact sensors.

Last edited:

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 2 impact sensors in front behind the grill. The airbag deployed because a third sensor, the safing sensor which detects if the impact is trivial or not, might have been defective.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the quick responses. Several of the earlier trucks in the yard had the impact sensors on the frame rails. My 01 doesn't have them mounted there. I'll check behind the grill and report back.

Interesting about the safing sensor, doc. I wonder where that one is. The thing is, I think my son hit that Lexus going at least 5-10. She said he knocked her out into the intersection... so maybe the bags deployed as they should have.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read my previous post

You will not find any sensors behind the grill They are located in the door pillars

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, Bed! I appreciate you jumping back in. That is slightly confusing wording from Ford. "In addition..." in that paragraph made it sound as if there four impact sensors. I'll look in the B pillars.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont let your son drive alone. He might get into another accident. You know kids sometimes they get reckless. Better safe than sorry.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shouldn't have been confusing as it states "For this vehicle the SRS employs three impact sensors"

What gets confusing is when members post information about different years Such as sensors being behind the grill which there are in the earlier 1st gen models 97-99

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, one new question. The truck is all buttoned back up (reprogramed RCM, airbags installed, working belts installed). My airbag light is OFF with no codes. However, I have no cruise, the horn is constantly on (when key "on" or "run") and no seatbelt warning lights/buzzing when I disconnect when driving. I need to replace the clock spring to fix the horn and cruise, correct? (not sure about the belts not buzzing).

Update/FYI:
  • I sent the RCM to Airbagsystems.com to have reprogramed (impact code cleared). The RCM reprogram cost me $60 which included shipping. Sent it to them on Monday and had it back it the truck on Wed. Nice. This is what they told me when I asked about the onboard impact sensor: "Yes, the sensors that are built into the circuit board are digital and we check them when we repair the module. For the ones that are external on the bumper, they are NEVER bad. So you are covered"
  • The Ford dealer can get airbags ($850-950 each) and seat belt retractor assemblies ($550 each), but the RCM is no longer available. Crazy.
  • I got the airbags at the wrecking yard for $35 each and working retracting belts for $10-15 each side. On ebay, bags and belts average around $75 each.
  • My son was there with me on the disassembly, parts hunting, reassembly and truck clean up throughout, so there was a silver lining. He did much of the work himself. Hoping this is eye opening for him on many fronts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2