17 Eco boost stalls at elevation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin17

Reaction score
2017 expedition 100,000 miles, and I'm looking for any ideas of what caused this/ what to do.
I was heading up a mountain pass in low 80 degree temperature going 25-30mph no issues until I pass 10,000 feet in elevation and then it stalls. CEL comes on and the dash reverts to what it would look like if I was parked and turned the key to run. I was able to start it after two cranks (never taken more than one before) and it ran for about 5-7s at a time before stalling (this was not fun when doing a u-turn on a narrow road with no guardrails).
After coasting downhill below 10k and restarting it ran perfectly fine and never stalled again .

Info
P0627 code was found stored, (related?)
Using 87 octane gas
Checked air filter -perfectly clean
Checked for vacuum leaks at home- none found.

I have checked this forum, and the F-150 EB threads and I can't seem to find anyone else with this specific altitude issue, if anyone has an idea where to even start I would be very appreciative.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2017 expedition 100,000 miles, and I'm looking for any ideas of what caused this/ what to do.
I was heading up a mountain pass in low 80 degree temperature going 25-30mph no issues until I pass 10,000 feet in elevation and then it stalls. CEL comes on and the dash reverts to what it would look like if I was parked and turned the key to run. I was able to start it after two cranks (never taken more than one before) and it ran for about 5-7s at a time before stalling (this was not fun when doing a u-turn on a narrow road with no guardrails).
After coasting downhill below 10k and restarting it ran perfectly fine and never stalled again .

Info
P0627 code was found stored, (related?)
Using 87 octane gas
Checked air filter -perfectly clean
Checked for vacuum leaks at home- none found.

I have checked this forum, and the F-150 EB threads and I can't seem to find anyone else with this specific altitude issue, if anyone has an idea where to even start I would be very appreciative.
What altitude is home?

I think you have a leak somewhere. The decreased air density is causing it to rear it's head.

Do you have anything like an OBDLink MX+? Something where you could monitor a few PID's while it is happening.

OP
OP
K

Kevin17

Reaction score
What altitude is home?

I think you have a leak somewhere. The decreased air density is causing it to rear it's head.

Do you have anything like an OBDLink MX+? Something where you could monitor a few PID's while it is happening.
Home is 2500' since this happened I have driven up to 7000' and a few hundred miles.

I have a blue driver that can do live data, would that work? There is also a nearby 8000' road for testing purposes.

woodmanjc

Reaction score
I had almost the same thing happen to me in Colorado a few days ago. Took me several tries to make it up the mountain. It would start but die soon as I put it in drive. Finally revved it to about 3000 in neutral dropped it in drive and it would run a few yards, did that a few times and finally got up to 15 mph or so and I kept it in 1 & 2 gears till I got to the top of the mountain, about 7 or 8 miles. Was 1500 miles from home, at 10,000+ feet, managed to get back home at about 700 feet, still running weakly. 2017 Expedition has 132,200 miles on it, I do not plan to work on it myself, just wonder what dealer is going sell me.

UPDATE: the dealer tells me my problems were due to a weak and failing fuel pump. Hope the new fuel pump solves the problem.

UPDATE: just got it back from the dealer after replacing fuel pump and oxygen sensors, runs sweet again. It seems really expensive, almost $2000, but glad it is running right again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kevin17

Reaction score
I appreciate the response woodmanjc I suspect it may be fuel pump related due to the stored code, I think I will keep driving it and if it ever happens again I will try your temporary solution.
Thanks to replies like yours I knew exactly what to do when my throttle body gave out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65