17 Expedition XLT engine rattling noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mooncaller

Reaction score
Hello!
So I have an 2017 Expedition XLT and I’ve just broke the 109000 mile mark.
It started having an engine rattle.
Like when I turn it on cold there’s like a screeching sound and it kinda feels like it’s metal on metal rubbing. I live in Vegas so it’s not really that cold here.
So back to the rattle, it seems it’s coming from the front. It’s not always present, like it takes an hour or 2 of driving before it starts being audible. I guess maybe after everything is nice and hot. It only happens when I come to a stop. The car has to be in gear and foot all the way down on the brake.
Honestly I’m not sure what it could be, my mechanic was saying it might be the timing chain since this is kinda the mileage at which issues like that arise for this vehicle. The mechanic didn’t do anything to it, it was his opinion after I explained the issue to him.
The idle seems to run a bit more rough as well after like an hour or so.
Has anybody else had this kind of issue?
Thank you!

Last edited:

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you positive it's not coming from the passenger side rear head? I'm wondering if it's your vacuum pump since depressing the brake causes the noise.

tacoduck

Reaction score
I thought the cam phaser rattle sounds are most apparent right at cold start. Op states the noise is most prevalent after a couple hours and a warm engine.

OP
OP
M

Mooncaller

Reaction score
Okay, sorry I took a second to get this ready.
Here's the link to youtube.
Might want to use headphones to hear it better.
The noise comes and goes and it only happens after the engine has been running and I stop with foot on the brake.

Offwego

Reaction score
Check to see if any of your exhaust manifold bolts are missing. Just had to replace my manifolds and bolts. Upgraded to BD diesel, thicker and they use all the bolt holes in the head. This is a very common problem with this engine. Seems like there should be a recall.

OP
OP
M

Mooncaller

Reaction score
Check to see if any of your exhaust manifold bolts are missing. Just had to replace my manifolds and bolts. Upgraded to BD diesel, thicker and they use all the bolt holes in the head. This is a very common problem with this engine. Seems like there should be a recall.
The only recall that I was aware was for the blower motor for the front AC and I had that done.

tacoduck

Reaction score
Sounds like the serpentine belt. It sounds normal to me.