1997 4.6L issues HELP with ideas please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshNphoenix

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck for over 10 years and have never had an issue. But in the last month has been running rough. To the point of almost stalling and shudders sometimes. Also noticed a whistle noise that’s new. Scanned it and they said EGR Valve bought a new one and changed it. Same issue no change just out 50 bucks. Just pulled codes tonight and they are
P0301 cyl 1 misfire
P0155 02 heat circuit bank 1 sensor 1
P0135 02 heat circuit bank 1 sensor 2
P0303 cyl 3 misfire
P0171 bank 1 too lean
P0174 bank 2 too lean
Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and what was the issue. Thanks in advance for any advice at this point. Josh

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have Cataytic converters ?
If they havent been checked in a while I would take it to an exhaust shop and have them do a back pressure test. They could be clogged.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check or replace spark plugs on cylinder 1 and 3, check fuel pressure at idle and while revving, if low, change fuel filter, if still low, change fuel pump. If still running rough after verifying spark plugs 1 and 3, and fuel pressure is normal, try bending the tabs of the fuel injector male connector a little (carefully) to ensure good contact. If that doesn't work, and misfire is still on 1 and 3, either try replacing the fuel injector or check the fuel injector female lead with a noid light.

mrphixit

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck for over 10 years and have never had an issue. But in the last month has been running rough. To the point of almost stalling and shudders sometimes. Also noticed a whistle noise that’s new. Scanned it and they said EGR Valve bought a new one and changed it. Same issue no change just out 50 bucks. Just pulled codes tonight and they are
P0301 cyl 1 misfire
P0155 02 heat circuit bank 1 sensor 1
P0135 02 heat circuit bank 1 sensor 2
P0303 cyl 3 misfire
P0171 bank 1 too lean
P0174 bank 2 too lean
Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and what was the issue. Thanks in advance for any advice at this point. Josh

mrphixit

Reaction score
I had the same symptoms that you’re describing with my 99 5.4. I’m not sure if the 4.6 has it or not but my 5.4 has a vacuum line from the PC valve to the rear of the intake. The rubber coupling connecting it to the intake deteriorates and the engine runs horrible if it even runs at all. It is a real bear to replace unless you pull the throttle body. If I remember correctly, that hose is actually 2 or 3 Hoses connected with a Y or Tee and cost about $60 ten years ago. Hope this helps.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heater circuit codes might just be bad o2 sensors. Although it strange that they both went out at the same time. But they are cheap and easy fix. The misfire codes and lean codes sound like a vacuum leak. Intake gaskets could be leaking as well. I have an 00 5.4 that only ran like crap at stop lights. Installed new intake gaskets and haven’t had a problem since. It’s about to hit 400k