1998 Air Ride normal operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_98Exped

Reaction score
I just picked up a used '98 Exped. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the air suspension. Evreytime I start the engine the compressor will start. Even if it sits for only a minute. It will then come on occasionally while driving. I can feel it deflate when I turn off the engine and rise on start up. Can anyone tell me how the system should work? The owners manual and shop manual are not helpful. Thanks.

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My advice would be to get the conversion kit from Monroe and go with the traditional coil spring instead of that air spring......you won't have any problem out if it. Runs about 250 and comes with 4 new shocks as well.....easy to install

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
M

Matt_98Exped

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I will certinly get a converion kit but only if I know there is something wrong with it. I just know know how the stupid thing is suposed to work.

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was broken when I got it. Was gonna cost way more to fix than to do the conversion

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes that is how it is supposed to work. It is designed to make it easier to get in and out by kneeling down. You probably have a small leak in an air bag, hence the reason it kicks on during travel.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Matt,
The deflating when you shut off your Expy is normal. I think it is set to drop about 2". When you start it up the compressor will cycle to raise the ride height back up.
As you drive, the compressor can/may cycle to keep the ride height level. Nut if it cycles very often, I would venture to guess that you have some leakage in your bags and might need to service them. Most of the airbags are only good for about 10 years. A '98 is definitely likely to have leaking bags.
As districk mentioned, a coil spring conversion is money well spent! Get the rear coil conversion and replace the front shocks with '66 Bronco or 70-79 F-150 rear shocks (like I did) and use the T-bars to level the ride.

p.s. don't forget to yank the "check suspension" bulb out of the instrument panel. LOL

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd gen air suspension last about 7yrs...you either have a leak as mentioned or o-rings have gone out...either way something is wrong and that is how u know by hearing the compressor starting...it will only get louder and now that it is happening while driving...it is getting closer to failing...happened to me then one morning the front completely failed and was i wasnt able to drive it due to it rubbing on tires...it would inflate at all...conversion for entire truck if you have front/rear bags...and you will never have this prob again...some have found a simple fix but troubleshooting is a pain...so many components...ford priced me $1700 to replace suspension with all new components...or $400 for conversion and $250 for install...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccky