1998 EB No Start After Heater Core Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfwelkner

Reaction score
Hello. New user, long time Expedition fan. I tackled the heater core replacement chore and was mostly successful. I decided to remove the dash completely to allow adequate access to the heater core box. I took my time getting the dash back together, made sure all the electrical connections had a home and were reconnected. Now that everything is back together, I can't get it to start. If I add gasoline through the intake it does start for a few seconds. I checked the inertia cut off switch, it's fine. Reseated the cable going to it, still no good. When I turn the key to the "on" position, I hear what sounds like the fuel pump run for a second, then stop. After repeated off and on's with the ignition, I would think the engine would fire for a second or so, but it doesn't. This vehicle has 147,000 miles on the original fuel pump. I suppose the pump could be bad but it would be very coincidental for that to happen. Before dropping the full fuel tank, I thought about disconnecting the fuel line at the filter, turn the ignition to "on" and see if I get any fuel. Any help you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Gordon

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
look on thr fuel rail for the valve that looks like tire pressure valve, take the cap off and push it down with the key on,

chrmar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is that thingy, anyways? All I know is it scraped the hell out of my arm getting at the #4 spark plug... :(

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
that is called a schaider valve its used to test fuel pressure

OP
OP
G

gfwelkner

Reaction score
Problem Solved!

I was out of town for a while and couldn't work on my truck. I finally had some time and figured out I left a connector unplugged. It is under the access panel where the autolamp sensor is. Running well and heat is working great. No leaks. Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah, sometimes it's the simplest fixes that hold you back :)