1998 Eddie Bauer rear heat/AC blower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey again,

I have a 1998 Eddie Bauer with the rear AC/Heat controls on the back of the console. Worked great all summer and some of this winter. Now when the kids turn on the fan, no matter what speed, nothing. I kind of hear a noise but no air flow.

Just wanted some advise as where to start. How do you pull the console and will gain me access to the blower motor? Maybe some other things to look at?

Thanks again!!!

Brian

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anyone with any ideas

Just took a test drive, flip the fan on, heat on in front, you can hear kind of the fan running, no air coming out. A slight bit of heat present. Anyone?

99exbyut

Reaction score
is it the rear that your trying to get to work. cause my didnt work for a while and after i got a new front control panel it works great. and the rear blower is in the very back on the driver side. the cover you should just be able to pull off and see if it works.

OP
OP
B

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1998 rear blower motor

It has its own set of controls on the rear of the console. Used to work great, turned the fan on any speed and air came out. You could control the temp and air speed from the rear. I believe it only worked when the front was on also.

Now, you turn on the fan, any speed, nothing. No air comes out at all. I kind of here a noise, but nothing. I thought the motor was in the console???

Thanks.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
brills....I had the exact same situation last summer on my 98. What's happening is the air control door in the console isn't opening because the controller has went south. Most likely you probably hear a faint clicking sound when it's on. I took the console out and rather than spend $79 at Ford I opened the air control door and affixed it open permanently with a screw and put it back in. It worked great all summer and is doing fine this winter. I did the permanent fix for 2 reasons. One it was much cheaper and two, I always run air in the back to help cool/heat the rear. To me the big vehicle temps up much quicker this way.

Sclass-hole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
brills....I had the exact same situation last summer on my 98. What's happening is the air control door in the console isn't opening because the controller has went south. Most likely you probably hear a faint clicking sound when it's on. I took the console out and rather than spend $79 at Ford I opened the air control door and affixed it open permanently with a screw and put it back in. It worked great all summer and is doing fine this winter. I did the permanent fix for 2 reasons. One it was much cheaper and two, I always run air in the back to help cool/heat the rear. To me the big vehicle temps up much quicker this way.

I have that "clicking" sound on mine too and when I mess with the buttons, sometimes it stops. I'd like to try this mod and see if it helps with my problem. Any chance you remember much about it and can kind of talk me through it?

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's pretty easy. you've got to pull the console first. To do that you need to pull the console inserts both in the cd holder and the cup holder. You can then undo the bolts holding it in. Disconnect the electrical connections and pull the console out. Turn it over and you can get to the damper and the electrical actuator for it. I just disconnected the actuator and took it out, opened the damper and put a sheet metal screw in it to keep it open permanently. Then just reassembled with out the actuator. If you need more info please let me know.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OMG STOP the clicking.....

I was at the bank drive thru today and head this clicking coming from under the console.

This is on the 1998 Navigator with the rear controls on the back of the console.

Is there anyway to test this actuator?

Looks like lots of possible part number:
7Z-19E616-AB
5Z-19E616-BA
3Z-19E616-CA
These were all from fordpartsgiant.com. I'm sure I need to go to the dealer to get the right one...

Anybody else have this problem? I don't want to always have the radio turned up :D

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One more thing...

Looks like I could get the:
MOTORCRAFT Part # YH1841

From Rock Auto for only $35.79, but is it the right one?

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
khpony said "because the controller has went south."

What controller is this? Am I barking up the wrong tree with the actuator?

Jason