1998 Expedition 5.4 Triton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fdf150

Reaction score
I'm having problems with this expedition including passenger side lifters tapping really bad,spitting/sputtering/jerking,and no power after engine warms up.Oil pump went out and replaced it.Now the engine is tapping real bad on passenger side.Listening at exhaust pipe,left side of engine is running smooth with no skip or anything,but right side of engine you can hear it skipping and popping and lifters tapping.Could this be due to a collapsed lifter from oil pump going out?Any help on this matter (or any ideas) would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.:Frustrated::emotions122::Frustrated::think::banghead:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a check engine light on? If you do, stop by a local parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.) and have them pull the codes. Post the codes back here.

OP
OP
F

fdf150

Reaction score
Do you have a check engine light on? If you do, stop by a local parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.) and have them pull the codes. Post the codes back here.

The only code it was throwing was P011I3 for the IAT and I replaced it but it didn't make any change in the way the motor runs.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well these engines are notorious for having a ticking valve. However if you can hear more than one ticking then that is probably not normal. Any chance there are some manifold studs that have broken off of the passenger side manifold?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how many miles on this expy?

what other preventive/routine maintenance work has been accomplished/performed in the last 6 months?

what viscosity oil are you using?

PanHandler.

OP
OP
F

fdf150

Reaction score
I've put new timing chains and tensioners,new oil pump,new TPS,new IAT,new vacuum lines and that's it but it didn't start running like this until the oil pump went bad.It has 201,094 miles on it.Oh and I put new o-ring kits on all the fuel injectors.

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sir, I'm no expert, but any chance the timing jumped.

In addition, these are notorious for the pcv valve &/or line to disintegrate due to their location. Sure you checked it, but want to be sure.

OP
OP
F

fdf150

Reaction score
I have checked timing 4 different times just to be sure and as far as the PCV valve and line,I forgot to tell you I bought those new from the Ford dealership 2 days and replaced it already.I am at my wits end with this thing and I've been working on cars all my life.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried unplugging each coil while running to see if the tapping goes away? Was everything in proper working order before oil pump went? How long was the expy running when the oil pump stopped pumping? And you said the issues happen when warm, is everything normal when cold?