1999 5.4 Head Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles Musick

Reaction score
From what I have read Ford had some problems with their head gaskets during these years.
My questions are.
Does anyone know if it was only certain engines that had these problems, and if there a way to tell?
A lot of people had trouble early (under 50,000) Mine blew at 180,000 so I hopping mine does not fall in that category?
Also a lot of the replaced gaskets were quick to fail; the problem is with the head itself, making the gasket fail.
I read that Ford came out with an improved head gasket to help solve this problem.
Does anyone know if this is true? If it is is there a way to know that your buying the "improved" gasket.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first generations are the most dependable ones of the three generations. As stated in other posts by me, and other members, the reason a head gasket blows, is severe overheating. That can be from lack of coolant flow, low oil level/ pressure, or just maintenance neglect. I've seen these engines go as much as 500k miles, and others that crap out at 50k. Changing coolant every 2-3 years, is a step in the right direction. When a vehicle starts to overheat, it should never be driven, but towed. The gaskets, cylinder heads, and blocks are much more fragile and complex than older pushrod engines. When I replaced blown gaskets in the past, it was usually a 4 or 6 cylinder vehicle. They do include a limp home mode for our vehicles, but it's recommended just to get to a safe spot, not drive 30 miles home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Charles Musick

Charles Musick

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
I'm Confused about my 99 expedition EB 5.4 triton.
From what I understand the exp did not have PI heads (PI=Square ports)
From the pictures I've seen, mine looks like PI. although I may be wrong.
The engine side stamp reads date 8-14-98 Windsor
Stamp also has 982260073, but google finds nothing on this #
The intake is aluminum- number xl3e 9425 dc
So I'm not sure if the motor was changed, special ordered, or the heads+intake were changed.
Even tho the stamp reads 98 it would be made for the 99 with 99 specs? I'm guessing its stamped for date made, not vehicle year.
If the heads were changed to PI. what else would be or should be changed. ie injectors, plugs, octane, cam??
Is there other numbers on the engine to that would give me any more information?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently 99 on up for 5.4 had the square port head 4.6 engines didn't get them till late 2000. If your rebuilding your existing engine, and from all the questions, I would assume you are, check your heads with a straight edge, and feeler gauge for any warpage. I'm not sure what the spec is for yours, you can check in the repair cd/ book, or a machine shop. I'd do the same with the block as well. Theirs three reasons for premature gasket failure. 1) improper torquing of heads, 2) vehicle overheating problem not corrected,3) Inferior quality gaskets. As long as you start with a flat surface within specs, with no warpage or cracks, and use either Ford, or maybe top Fel pro gaskets, and take your time for proper torquing of heads, I usually do torque in 5-6 different I ncrements, you should be fine. You will need to pull your intake to see what ports you have. Theirs an article called Ford modular differences that might help you narrow down what you have. They have either R for Romeo assembly plant, W for Windsor, or Teksid for Italy manufacturer of early aluminum blocks. Hopefully your past owner didn't mix blocks and heads.

OP
OP
Charles Musick

Charles Musick

Reaction score
Great article. Thank you
(about half way down their the page is the info I pasted below, although I believe I think its talking about 4.6. I'm not sure about the 5.4.)
The PI heads weren’t installed on everything in 1999, and the parts books aren’t clear about exactly where they were used, so there’s a lot of confusion about which applications came with or without them. The only thing anyone knows for sure is that all the Mustangs had “PI” heads in 1999 and some of the trucks and Expeditions had them. In 2001, the F150 and Crown Victoria 4.6 Ls received the PI package.

OP
OP
Charles Musick

Charles Musick

Reaction score
Maybe I should start a new thread, but I'll ask here.
timing chain on passenger has slack, any ideas what could cause this. The guide is also broken. The tensioner piston is not out as far as the other side, best I can tell. I thought I should ask before I finish tear down.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Asked, and answered . A worn or broken tensioner, will put undo stress on a chain, in the case of a belt, it can jump a tooth and cause catastrophic failure. Always replace tensioner/ guides at chain replacement time.