1999 Exp. XLT Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbinaz

Reaction score
1999 Expedition XLT.. Was on way back from Phx, AZ the voltage meter went to high and then the guage needle started to bobble up and down. Finally quit but was rested on "high" when the engine was on.
What happened was that the alternator went out and started overcharging the battery and was giving too much power to everything. I began to smell something burning (like a match) then the power went out and everythnig shut off. Nothing worked after that.
I replaced the alternator and the engine started but all the elctrical components were burnt out. No headlights, dome lights, brake lights, no radio/CD changer power, no dash lights, now running board lights. I after not being able to figure out what was wrong (and yeah i checked the fuses) I took it to the local Ford dealer. I needed my headlights, tail lights and stock radio/tape player to work. Just to have that fixed cost over $500.
However the CD changer has no power, instrument panel lights do not work, running board light do not work and the dome lights do not work.

I need help fixing this and don't want to spend mucha $$ to have the dealer fix it. Does anyone think its the electrical modules? And if so, which ones? Any suggestions??

flakito1000

Reaction score
I know you mentioned checking the fuses but did you checked the fuses withing the engine compartment? Sometimes those fuses brake first before the one under the dash.