1999 Expy - some upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simon Clowes

Reaction score
Hi All,
First off we have only had the Expy for a year and due to that unmentionable virus have not taken it out of town until last weekend. I have spent the time doing some "upgrades" to it. Firstly replaced the badly discoloured (inside) headlights, added a roof cargo rack (with 3 Service Dogs inside needed more room for other IMG_0073.png New Low Beam.png New Low Beam.pngNew Hi Beam.png Driving Lights only.png things) and some LED driving and spot lights - all of which may still need a bit more aligning OH, and installed my ham radio gear too.

Did pretty good, but did seem to drop speed quickly on hills - may need a tune-up soon. Was pleasantly surprised at the 14.8mpg we averaged for the 340 miles trip.

If I have any complaint about the Expy, it is the same one I have about most modern vehicles - wish it had a manual transmission.

The images with the lights came from the dashcam video.

Last edited:

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice lookin truck or should I say mobile shack. I am curious how you mounted the cargo rack? I have one and am trying to determine whether to mount it to the factory rack bars or rails.

OP
OP
Simon Clowes

Simon Clowes

Reaction score
zfifty - it is u-bolted to the rails that go across the vehicle, that way I could space them to support the weight

skunkbutt

Reaction score
I like the headlights, want to do the same to mine. Did you notice a big difference? I'm wondering what brand is the roof rack you have. My truck is a 98. I had a 2002 parts truck and the cross bars are a little lower than the 98 cross bars so it look better, not so high off the roof. One thing I recently learned about the transmission which I haven't liked since new, was what i would call lazy shifting, up shifting to soon and not down shifting when i needed. Had the trans rebuilt and learned about the torque converter lock out mode. maybe you may not know about this and could help you with your desire for a stick.
thanks for your post