1st Gen Cat Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97expedition23

Reaction score
Hey guys brand new here. I have an old 97 expedition 4wd, that has been in the family since 1998. I'm wanting to make it my off road and hunting wagon, and I would like to remove the catalytic converters to help it breathe a little better and remove any future problems with it. I'm sure many people have already done this to one of these, but this is my first time and was hoping someone could guild me on what to do and what not to do. Also, anything that I will need for it, and any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Smoke92

Reaction score
Not recommended. On most vehicles since the late 80s the catalytic converters aren’t really much of a restriction. If your engine was modified with ported heads and cams, or forced induction the stock cats could become a restriction, but not on a stock engine. Also if you removed them you will cause the check engine light to come as there are 02 sensors behind the cats that monitor their efficiency. There are ways around this but none are legal if you plan on driving it on public roads.