Should I build another supercharged or turbo 1st gen expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Sorry, I have not been visiting this forum for sometime so unfamiliar with what's going on in the community.

Anyone with a 1st generation expedition here have interest in building a supercharged 5.4? I have a 2000 ford expedition that can be found in the following thread. Don't know how many current members of this forum are still around from that era.

Almost all of its mods were documented on this forum around the same time and for a few years following the above thread.

The bad news is I went through a divorce back in 2015 and it pretty much has been sitting since and rust has taken its toll on the body. So it's pretty much only good for use as a doner vehicle. It had what I believed to be valve train tic at the time but it would go away with load. I wanted to pull the motor to go through and diagnose but didn't have a garage anymore to do the work. I would start and run it on occasion but then one day the starter quit so there it has sat. I have considered trying to find a rust free 1st gen expedition if there is such a thing and swap out the drivetrain myself or sell it as is to someone else that is interested doing a similar project.

The list of mods to the drivetrain is extensive and can be found in my build thread above.
Built bottom end - forged crank, rods, pistons. TFS heads - 44cc, Cams - would have to find the specs but was tame enough to pass emissions. SVT lightning upper supercharger assembly, Fluidyne heat exchanger, larger radiator and many other extra's. Also has a built 4r100 and torque converter. J&S safeguard knock control unit. Actually have all my receipts.

Anyways, trying to gauge if there is any interest in purchasing this as a donor vehicle or if anyone know where I can find a rust free expedition to purchase as a transplant vehicle. The other option is transplanting the drivetrain in a F150 or 250 of the same generation.

If I do swap the drivetrain myself, my ultimate goal would be turbocharge it. I have gained enough experience with turbo's in the past years I believe I would feel comfortable now doing so.

Expyalidopeness

Reaction score
First off, sorry to hear about your divorce. They are horrible to say the least. Been there done that twice. Wish you a better future and recovery. Anyways, I have a 2002 f150 harley-davidson and the motor went last week. Fortunately it was under warranty and I'm working through the process currently. I logged on here because I've been thinking of having the new motor Installed in my Expedition roller body. Only reason I'm seriously considering this is because the body is better and the harley-davidson is a salvage title. I was wondering if you could pass on some pointers. What rear axle did you use for your project? Ecm? Are headers interchangeable?

Attachments

• 20230620_092817.jpg
    20230620_092817.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230717_181230_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230717_181230_Facebook.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads