2 power Steering pump shafts broke (2007)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoolFighta

Reaction score
Hello
My power steering pump gave out and the shaft of the pulley broke off inside
I replaced the whole pump and not even a day later the new one broke the same way.
The pump screeched before breaking both times
What could cause that???

Attachments

• IMG_9707.jpeg
    IMG_9707.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 5

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you flush the system with new fluid ? Probably metal shavings or some other metal contaminant left in the fluid from the first failure. I would assume the shaft locked up ?
The replacement was a new or rebuilt one right ? Not something from the salvage yard.

OP
OP
B

BoolFighta

Reaction score
Did you flush the system with new fluid ? Probably metal shavings or some other metal contaminant left in the fluid from the first failure. I would assume the shaft locked up ?
The replacement was a new or rebuilt one right ? Not something from the salvage yard.

I drained all the fluid how would I go about flushing it
It was a rebuilt one

OP
OP
B

BoolFighta

Reaction score
After investigating my line supplying fluid to it was clogged could that have caused it to burn up and break?

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The steering fluid does lubricate the pump, as you mention a screeching sound, that is usually what happens when moving parts are not adequateLy lubricated, so a blocked input or output pipe would prevent the flow of fluid (lubricant for the pump) and allow the shaft to seize and break..