2000 Eddie Bauer electrical issues from Windshield Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my day started off great. I had a dead battery. It is raining today. After doing the things you normally do to get the thing started I discovered that I had electrical gremlins that at first I thought must be due to truck resetting the computer. I went for a ride thinking it would clear up in a little while. I sure was disappointed when it did not. After speaking with a neighbor he said check for a leaking windshield, I did and to my surprise it is. Bummer
No radio, No dash lights, error lights flashing in in strument cluster for the 4X4 and windshield wipers and an annoying clicking sound that sounded like a turn signal flasher but much louder. So anyway I was wondering how to get this fixed. Can my windshield be resealed? where is the GEM module? If I dry it out and it is not corroded can I still use it? or do I have to replace it.
This is why I hate late model vehicles. Yes, somethings are much better than the old vehicles but when things go wrong they are seldom easy fixes.:bawl::banghead::throw::Angry:

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im not sure about the windshield? Probably need the windshield taken out and reinstalled with new seal.

The GEM is located on top of the fuse panel under the dash. You could try to dry it out and see if it works but Im going to guess from your description that it is toast and will need to be replaced.

OP
OP
O

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I will be calling a couple of local windshield places tomorrow about the windshield. I have taken the battery cables loose and I will just have to wait until the rain stops and things have a chance to dry out before I mess with the GEM. I hope I do not have to replace the GEM as I am disabled and my funds are very tight right now. I can do somethings but I have severe disc degeneration in my neck and lower back and I can no longer do somethings like I used to be able to do. Maybe I will be able to re-use the GEM module, if not I will have to find a used one somewhere as I am not going to be able to afford a new one at a dealership.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
One Mean Green, if this is the first time things have gone south on you, you should be good when it comes to the GEM module. Some take it, some don't. Get the windshield resealed (any windshield place can do it for you) and then see what you have at that point.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen these on Ebay from 100-150, you could get it cheeper if you could pull one out yourself at the junk yard.

But try and see if you can dry it out first.

OP
OP
O

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, That is my plan, get the windshield resealled first and then go from there. I for now have the battery disconnected to keep it from running down. Hopefully, it will be salvageable because I am finding that even used they are pricey. Time will tell.

OP
OP
O

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update! Well today 2 days later I hooked up the battery cables and went for a drive. I still have some issues but better than last time I drove it. After I stopped for fuel and then restarted the truck everything was back to normal but being overly cautious when I parked her in the driveway I disconnected the cables.
I called around glass companies and they said around $100-125 to reseal windshield or $325-350 ish if the windshield broke during the removal.
If I have to buy a GEM module they seem to be around $100-125 on Ebay or around $300 for a new replacemnt one. I am going to have the windshield resealed/replaced and wait and see what happens.

OP
OP
O

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update

Well today, I reconnected battery and took a ride and it seems everything is back to normal. I will have to wait a couple weeks till I can do something about the windshield. I will just cover it with a piece of plastic if we get anymore rain until it gets resealed. I have had the truck for about 5 months now and this is the first time anything happened like this and I have even driven it in a down pour a couple times. maybe this just started leaking.

96max2fast

Reaction score
don't be fooled

I had the same issues on my 97 expedition 4x4 4.6... I replaced the windshield since it had a few issues to begin with (chips/cracks)...

The car eventually went back to normal on it's own, however, it rained a whole bunch yesterday and the issue resurfaced again... not sure if it was the humidity or if water actually got in there a different method...

Any ideas????

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
96max, it can be possible that your windshield has started leaking again. I would look in the driver's footwell area and see how damp the carpeting is. Just because you get the windshield resealed doesn't mean the problem will be fixed 100%. The bodies of our trucks flex a lot and it is enough to break the seal over time.