2000 expedition factory stereo upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope I'm not duplicating on post I posted on first gen expedition. Any hoo, has anyone replaced a first generation am/fm cassete mach stereo with a later model ford or Lincoln stereo? Mine is the 1/2 din size with 8 inch sub in passenger rear. The sounds ok but not great. I've heard Lincoln town cars that year that blow mine away. So anybody know of a plug and play upgrade that's Factory Ford? Thanks Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haven't heard of one but u can put a DDIN in there as well...plenty of ppl put DDINs in and there are plenty of posts telling u what's needed...from what I remember there is a little notch in the rear that needs to be cut out and any DDIN u choose will fit...I suggest going to crutchfield.com to see what is on the current market now...I highly suggest them as they give u discounts that the manufacturer is giving...they provide install sheets with pics...and they give lifetime support as long as you own that equipment...so if u decide to put it in another vehicle they will help you...ALSO...when u buy from them...they will give u the wiring harness needed to match to the truck for FREE...

so u can just use it to pick and compare and find the one u choose at a cheaper price if you'd like on another site if u like...

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Crutchfield recommendation. I've used them in the past, and blow away any local salesman that you deal with. I had a guy walk me through wire by wire my hookup on my Lincoln mark 7, when the oem plug fell apart. I'm still trying to do a ford or Lincoln plug and play unit. Maybe it's not to be.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crutchfield for sure, any radio with at least a 3 band equalizer, a nice pair of speakers up front and a sub system will bring the truck to life. Biggest gains to be had are down low, a nice 10 or 12 in a ported box will blow you away.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like nobody has ever played with the different oem units. My goal is to keep this SUV as close to original as possible. Nobody out there played around with ford units with success . Wouldn't even consider it but I remember how great out town cars sounded with oem head units. My goal is to improve some, not go crazy. It doesn't sound that bad for stock.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your looking for Sq your best bet is a speaker upgrade and some strategic sound deadening In the doors. I like my stock unit in my f150 but it limits the eq settings to bass and treble. Expeditions are pretty much a free air vehicle so it's hard to get any kind of thump from the door speakers. Ide suggest a component system and some type of mat to cover the open spaces on the door, that will net you better sound.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was thinking. When rolling I lose half the bass response from the 8 inch woofer. It's wild to see and hear bass response totally change in depth and output just by folding down back 3rd row seat. If even totally changes frequency opening rear wing windows, or back seat windows. Thanks for the tip.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your looking for Sq your best bet is a speaker upgrade and some strategic sound deadening In the doors. I like my stock unit in my f150 but it limits the eq settings to bass and treble. Expeditions are pretty much a free air vehicle so it's hard to get any kind of thump from the door speakers. Ide suggest a component system and some type of mat to cover the open spaces on the door, that will net you better sound.

Sound deadening goes a long way. Vibration dampener(i.e. dynomat type stuff) is not designed to black sound. It is to cut down vibration on panels. You don't need to fully cover anything with it, 25% or so and focus on problem areas or larger flat panels like the door skins, floor, roof, and Mass loaded vinyl(this is designed to block sound) to seal up the doors. MLV needs full coverage to work best. Try outlining the inner door panel and making as few holes as you can get away with. Lastly closed cell foam to separate panels that vibrate against each other. The costs are worth more than putting it towards better speakers. I upgraded the sub/amp and didn't have the time to deaden the back panel area at the time and it sounded worse than stock, lots of vibration. Not a lot of vibration dampener and some closed cell foam to gasket the sub to the grill to get air moving through the grill and not staying behind and vibrating the panel was a big difference.

After that I would upgrade the sub/amp and then amp the front if the speakers are even halfway decent. Betters sounding speakers don't always sound better in the real world off low powered head units. Spending $200-300 on components could lead to disappointment if they were designed for 100watts and are getting 10W.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speakers that come stock in these era of trucks tend to be very muddy, I agree that it won't sound the best it can but it will be an improvement. And good tip for the mat and closed cell foam! I definitely need to to that this winter!

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with 1st gens. I know other Fords of that era didn't have great speakers. What I meant was an okay set of speakers and spending $100 on sound deadening will go a lot farther than $100 or even $300 pair of speakers.