2000 expedition shaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bubba13

Reaction score
Alright well I got it out to a friend who owns a shop... I gave him the info I'd been given here and along with hearing it for himself he's pretty certain its spark plug/plugs. Didn't make it in time to get it done today but I'll be learning that soon it looks like. The plugs are under the coils (I'm sure you all know that but like I said I'm a beginner), so I'll be able to check them out too and find out if that's another issue. Thank you guys so much for the help, really great community here. I'll definitely be coming back if I run into anything else.

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright well I got it out to a friend who owns a shop... I gave him the info I'd been given here and along with hearing it for himself he's pretty certain its spark plug/plugs. Didn't make it in time to get it done today but I'll be learning that soon it looks like. The plugs are under the coils (I'm sure you all know that but like I said I'm a beginner), so I'll be able to check them out too and find out if that's another issue. Thank you guys so much for the help, really great community here. I'll definitely be coming back if I run into anything else.

That's awesome bro. I hope it all gets fixed.
I myself am a beginner too. This is actually my first car that I started doing all the maintenance and stuff too. I've been able to replace water pump, thermostat, heater core, serpentine belt, front and back brakes And coil. All I did was search around this forum for guide, and used YouTube. It feels so good to know YOU fixed something rather than spending major money on it.
Try taking the coils out one at a time and inspecting them. The coil itself is held in by one 7mm bolt. Then You have to disconnect the connector to the coil. There is a little tab on the bottom side of the connector that u squeeze in order to pull. And that's it. You pull out the coil carefully, and inspect them. That's how I found my problem.

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the procedure you use to inspect them?

I visually inspected them first. Then I had a friend help me disconnect each one, one by one With the car running to try and hear for a difference in idle. I checked the boots on all of them. But my visual inspection was enough for me since the boot was almost gone on one of my coils.
Like I said. I'm a beginner lol. So I just followed some advice that I read on a thread around here.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read post # 10 always best to replace plugs and boots if your not going to replace coils and to use dielectric grease on the boot wire

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read post # 10 always best to replace plugs and boots if your not going to replace coils and to use dielectric grease on the boot wire

Yes sir! The only reason I didn't Change the spark plugs, is because I barely bought the car from a good friend of mine about 4-5 months ago. He had the spark plugs changed a week before but not the cops. So I changed that one that crapped out on me. I did use dielectric grease too. There are a lot of threads on here that helped guide me the whole way.

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMHO if you're already going in to do plugs why not just spend a lil bit more money and do the coil packs at the same time, even if they are still "good."

I went the cheap route also when I first bought my expedition and just did the plugs, and after all my hard work a cpl months down the road the coil packs started going, one at a time.

The truck had over 300,000 kms on it with original plugs and coils so the coils were due for a change, I had the same mentality, the coils are still good, why change them?

After 2 coils went Individually I said f it and night the other 6 and replaced them. The thing that surprised me the most is how much better the truck ran after. It was good after doing the plugs but after the coil packs it team even better, so even if your coil packs are "good" it makes sense to change the coil packs, since you're already in there may as well change them out, I wish I did the first time instead of having to do the job again a few months after doing the plugs.

I found a seller on eBay that sells coil packs that are advertised as "performance" coil packs with red plastic on the coils for much less than OEM of other aftermarket brands, and his feedback trading was almost 100% positive with thousands sold, if I had to do it again I should probably go this route.

I realize that everybody on here is pro motorcraft, and most people that are passionate about their vehicles usually prefer OEM but I believe good parts can be found if you look around enough.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMHO if you're already going in to do plugs why not just spend a lil bit more money and do the coil packs at the same time, even if they are still "good."

I went the cheap route also when I first bought my expedition and just did the plugs, and after all my hard work a cpl months down the road the coil packs started going, one at a time.

The truck had over 300,000 kms on it with original plugs and coils so the coils were due for a change, I had the same mentality, the coils are still good, why change them?

After 2 coils went Individually I said f it and night the other 6 and replaced them. The thing that surprised me the most is how much better the truck ran after. It was good after doing the plugs but after the coil packs it team even better, so even if your coil packs are "good" it makes sense to change the coil packs, since you're already in there may as well change them out, I wish I did the first time instead of having to do the job again a few months after doing the plugs.

I found a seller on eBay that sells coil packs that are advertised as "performance" coil packs with red plastic on the coils for much less than OEM of other aftermarket brands, and his feedback trading was almost 100% positive with thousands sold, if I had to do it again I should probably go this route.

I realize that everybody on here is pro motorcraft, and most people that are passionate about their vehicles usually prefer OEM but I believe good parts can be found if you look around enough.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sounds like a very good idea! Do you happen to know the sellers name on eBay by any chance??

OP
OP
B

Bubba13

Reaction score
Update

Alright so here's the update... DEFINITELY had a vacuum leak... Found a FEW cracked hoses, bad couplings and replaced the pcv valve and gromet while I was at it. They were really loose and cheap so I figured why not. After all that my check engine light came back on, shaking persisted so I got it on a reader and found that cyl 8 was misfiring. Changed out the spark plug and all better now. I'm going to do the rest; coil packs look ok and I'm short on money so I'll leave those alone. One more question if anyone wants to weigh in: I bought motorcraft plugs, as that's what I was told was used in my vehicle and in fords commonly; but a "car-guy" friend suggested Bosch Platinum +2 plugs. I've found both for around the same cost... Any suggestions/pros/cons either way?? Thanks for all the help so far, you guys have gotten me a long ways