2000 Expedition squealing and dimming lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gage2502

Reaction score
Ok so this happened twice now and only when its pouring rain. While driving my 2000 Expedition 5.4 I would hear a squealing sound coming from the engine bay and the lights would dim dash lights and every other lights I would have on.
Also it would seem like I would loose engine power...meaning that it would seem like the horsepower would drop..
So today when it happened I looked at the scan gauge and it showed about 10.8 volts.
This would happen for like 5 seconds and then it would stop and everything would be fine.
Any ideas????
Thanks

EXPI2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your alternator belt is slipping when it gets wet. When it is dry check and make sure it is good and tight and in goid condition. Itherwise I would say and try to avoid deep puddles when its raining hard.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I agree. Check the belt and the belt tensioner. Maybe make sure no oil or coolant is leaking on the belt anywhere.

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Sounds like the tensioner is getting weak and is allowing the belt to slip. But, like the others said, if you have fluid on the belt, it can cause it to slip.

OP
OP
G

Gage2502

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the reply's. How often do you change the belt anyways? Every few years?
Also any difference in the Motorcraft or Goodyear belt?
Thanks