2000 Expy Air Bag leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went I bought it, I had never heard of air shocks, bought it and it was sagging down to the ground, started it up, and got out to check on it, rose all the way up.

That was 3-4 months ago, now it's a daily driver, but that issue is still happening. It's every now and then too, the shocks will leak and the back will lower itself.

Here's where it gets interesting, when I drive it never lowers itself and the compressor never kicks on, when I start up, if it's sagging, the compressor starts, I give it 30 or so seconds expy rises and we're good to go. However on my days off, I will randomly hear my compressor kick on, and watch it rise.

I would love to find the leak to fix this. Are there common failure areas that I should look first? Thanks!

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The most common with the air ride are the air bags themsleves. One way to eliminate this is to convert the entire system or find out which airbag has the leak and replace it. Eventually the air compressor will burn out from running too much since its trying to keep the truck level more then usual.

OP
OP
T

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have looked and sprayed and found no leaks. What leads me to believe there are no leaks is the fact that the comp isn't running all the time, only when I start up the expy.

I've been reading alot online and what many have found out is that it was their height sensor behind the spare tire had gone bad.

This would make sense since this only happens randomly when I park on an incline.

Has anyone tried this?

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
all that air stuff on the rear is nothing but trouble and expensive. Swap it out for the spring kit that I think belltech makes and be done with it JMO

OP
OP
T

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
all that air stuff on the rear is nothing but trouble and expensive. Swap it out for the spring kit that I think belltech makes and be done with it JMO

Going to swap it out this week, do you or anyone else have a walk through on how to swap them out?

OP
OP
T

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to swap these out? Sadly I haven't gotten to it yet. They are very weird, some days they'll not drain at all, like the past 2 days of sitting, not 1 drop, woke up this morning and boom flat, empty and almost on the ground. Local mech says $500 to swap them out for regular shocks. I'm a do it yourselfer kinda guy, and would rather do it myself. Google isn't pulling up much that looks reliable. Any luck with you guys? Thanks!