2000 XLT expedition rehabilitation thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
Thanks guys I am really enjoying the truck so far. I went with the snow tires because I live right near lake Michigan and we get pounded with lake effect snow every year. Glad to hear others have good things to say about them. I'm really looking forward to trying them out. :)

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
I have not had much time to play with my new toy but I did spend a little time with it today. I'm working two jobs right now so things are coming together slowly but surely. I installed a new battery today. Went with a duralast gold from autozone. I've been running a duralast in my other vehicle for over 5 years so figured stick with that. Replaced both of the crusty original terminals too for good measure.

I ordered an HID kit for the fog lights a week or so ago and they showed up the other day. I went with 55W ballasts driving 3000K bulbs in H10 fitment from a site called understeer.com I chose these because they have a low initial current draw and I have read of others using them with good results on stock harnesses.

I figured I had better see if all the lights work as is before adding the xenons and that is where I noticed an issue with my truck. After you switch the headlights on, turning them back off does nothing. shutting the truck off / removing key does nothing. I had to pull fuse #3 in the electrical box under the hood to get the low beams to shut down. After that I can put the fuse back in and repeat the same sequence. Lights come on if you need them but will not shut off without pulling the fuse. Any of you guys have to deal with that before? I could not find a relay for the low beams. Hope this is not some complicated electrical demon but I will figure it out. Also the instrument cluster illumination does not work and the overhead console display and overhead heat controls seem to be dead. front heat controls all work perfect. Will try to further diagnose tomorrow afternoon.

The HID kit was plug and play, although the H10 based bulbs don't fit the sockets just right they do click into place. The stock foglight pigtails plugged right into the ballasts, no splices or anything. The 3000K bulbs at 55W are BRIGHT and YELLOW, exactly what I was after. I have read that yellow colored light is good for rain and snow, wanted to try it for a while now. I will pull the truck out on the street tomorrow night and get some pics of the illumination from the inside. I will be using these like high beams. On when I need them and click them off if there is oncoming traffic so people are not getting blinded.
T7ue1.jpg

From head on they don't look super bright, which is cool. Just have to keep an eye on them and make sure they are not getting too hot for the fog housings.

Going to buy a set of shocks for all corners for it this week. It's on stock stuff now and they appear to be completely toast. ABS light also made an appearance today. Need to look into that as well.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
Went this morning and plated the truck. Put it on insurance yesterday. No emissions testing needed until I renew next year too, nice. After I left the license branch I went and had the firestones mounted and had them do an alignment at the local NTB. 166 bucks for mount, balance x4 and an alignment. Tech came and got me to look at the truck once they got it up in the air. Passengers front hub is shot and has significant play. Had them do the alignment and babied it home but the truck will be grounded until I can replace both front hubs. If the right is that bad the left can't be far behind.

He said other than that everything was tight which is nice. New hubs and shocks will be up next and then I will fix things as they arise.

Shot of the truck on the rack as seen from the waiting area.
O6x2z.jpg
Tire mounting and alignment are about the only things I will pay a shop to do for me, I'm a DIY guy as much as possible. Post alignment the truck drives great but the steering wheel is still not centered. I may have to pop the airbag back out and put it on straight, that is one thing I cannot tolerate in a vehicle of mine.

couple shots of the snows mounted just because.
vhRCY.jpg

LqCbv.jpg

I think I will have to look into rear spacers of some sort, looks like the rear end is sagging a bit to me. Need to take some measurements.

Picked up a Pioneer double din stereo with DVD player for the truck.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HW6F7E?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

Got it delivered yesterday along with a wiring harness to mate it to the stock harness. Will play with that over the coming weekend if I end up with a day off. Kind of an impulse buy there, but I need some tunes and have never been a fan of ford stock radios. That should fill the hole in the dash nicely. Will update when I get some more work done.

mmrseed

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you are having a blast doing all that and honestly...there is no comparison between taking something old that you like and fixing it up and just buying a new car and watching it depreciate. If you gave me $40,000 to spend on a new expedition or $15,000 to fix up an old one I'd take the latter. Keep us posted on all the updates and details

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Damn, not wasting anytime fixing her up! :)

Congrats on your purchase and good luck on your future projects with your new expy!!

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why did the airbags pop? You may already have said but I'm too lazy to go back and read three sentences. I like the wheels. Nice choice. I was going to say, there are a ton of rust free Expy's here in Phoenix. Fly over buy one and drive home. But you made an excellent buy.

OP
OP

2000UN93

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is a fun project for sure and seems to be coming together well for me. The truck just needed an owner who cares about it, just like anything else. The bags blew because the truck was either rear ended or backed into something hard from what I can tell.

H6wFf.jpg

There are a bunch of first gen expeditions at a pick n pull yard near here, so I will go look for a decent looking bumper and pick up a few other odds and ends I need from there when I have the motivation. Hoping to make a run out there within the next week before it starts getting much colder. I need a bumper, lower valance for the front, interior rear view mirror and probably a few other little things I am forgetting.

As far as project spending/ saving for rainy days goes, I had put aside 4k for a truck. I bought this one for less than 2k so I had some cash left over to put into it. I've just about burned that up though so purchases will slow down. There are only a few more things I plan to do to this thing, then I will drive it til it dies and go from there. Get the suspension/hubs replaced, rear bumper, front lower valance and from there out it's just going to be maintenance. I have no plans for any significant lift, bigger tires, winch bumpers etc. although I would like those things. Just can't rationalize them. I'm saving to build a garage/pole barn on my property so I can't be sinking big bucks into this thing.