2001 5.4L Eddie Bauer need spare key and new remote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BTVelocity

Reaction score
What is the recommendation for getting spare keys and a new remote for my 2001 Expy 5.4L EB?

I recently lost one of my 2 key/remote combos. Just got back from Walmart where the lady at the counter tested my key and determined there was "no chip," so she made me 2 spares. The spares work great to open the door lock and turn the ignition switch, but the engine just cranks without starting, and the "Theft" light blinks constantly. When I switch to my original key, it starts right up, and the
"Theft" light does not blink and actually goes out quickly during the start process.

I learn something new every day with this awesome Expedition! So I obviously have a chip in the key. Haha!

What is the recommendation for getting replacement keys? What about a replacement Remote without having to visit the dealership to get it programmed? And could I disable the "chip recognition" system so I could use the Chipless replacement keys I just had made?

Thanks!!

Bill

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the spare chip key, bring the chip one you have to them, and for $75.00 they'll make a second one. The dealer wants you to have 2 already to make a 3rd. That to me is silly. Why would you need a third key? As far as the remotes, you can order through eBay, or equivalent, and program yourself. The dealer is for rich ladies that have too much money! I did the Ace hardware key thing, and it works fine. Don't try putting your non chip door key in ignition, you'll shut down your computer, and vehicle. The computer will think it's been stolen.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a friend of mine that used a capacitor in line on his ignition switch, on his Chevy impala. Theirs a video online that shows you how.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not true, I had 1 key, went to Ace hardware here in Pacifica, CA near where I live, and they made a perfect functioning 2nd key, that works fine. Only the Dealer said I need 2 keys first! I understand the principal, but as long as 2 keys were coded in the beginning, and you lose 1 the hardware store makes a second one just fine for $75.00. I dont understand all the hoopla, that everyone keeps saying. Bring in one and done!

Tonyray

Reaction score
I found videos on Youtube on how to program the remote. You turn the key to on and back to off 8 times within 10 seconds on the last one leave it on then push any button on the remote and it programs it.