2002 Expidition adjustable pedals, how do I adjust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GHopkins

Reaction score
Our Expedition 's power adjustable pedals are uneven. It seems that the brake pedal is now higher than the gs and it does not move but about an inch. I can not find a set screw or figure out how to turn the spindle on just one of them. Can anyone tell me how? I got under it and looked at it and I can tell the screw drive is working on both, just out of adjustment.

OP
OP
G

GHopkins

Reaction score
found out

on 2002 expeditions there is a motor behind the brake pedal. It has a cable that runs over to the gas pedal. when turning the motor that cable moves the gas screw shaft. If your gas pedal is lower to the floor run it all th4e way down and then remove the cable and then run the brake all the way down and then hook back up the cable. If the brake pedal is lower than the gas pedal then raise the gas pedal all the way up and then disconnect the cable, then raise the brake pedal all the way up and re-hook cable. This will allow both to move evenly.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great heads-up. How do you figure the pedals became uneven in the first place? Makes me want to check mine; almost.

OP
OP
G

GHopkins

Reaction score
After correcting the problem my wife which is short got in and raised them all the way up. I asked her to lower them back down and as they started down she pushed on the brake pedal and it stopped moving and the gas kept going down. I reset them again and told her and my son not to put your feet on the pedals when moving. That seems to be the way ours got out of adjustment. My son just started driving and is taller, so until now the pedals weren't moved much. I am tall and I always adjusted the pedals all the way down before I got in.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even greater heads-up. Now everybody with multiple driver households knows about the condition cause as well as the readjustment. Good thinking on your part getting to the bottom of this.

ks10308

Reaction score
So quick question, on my expy (00) there is a HUGE difference between gas and brake, brake is much higher than the gas. That's not normal? how is it supposed to be? It was like that from the start when I got it in 03.

B

bedrck46

The brake pedal and the accelerator pedal must be in the same position when installing a new cable or a new pedal. The pedals must be in the all the way forward or all the way rearward position.
There is a procedure in the service manual on how to do this