2002 Ford Expedition 5.4 XLT Cylinder 5 Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bon Do

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been on the forums have read a few threads that solved problems I have had with this Expedition but now I am currently confused and can't seem to fix an issue I am having.

I purchased my 2002 Expedition 5.4 with 136,*** miles from a friend of mine. When going on a test drive, I attempted to accelerate up a hill @ 45 mph and the car became to shudder and shake until I gave it more gas and it would downshift to the previous gear, RPM would go up and it would be fine. I assumed it was bad gas or low fuel as the tank was on E. After fill up, the hesitation would continue after any slight acceleration @ 45mph. I had assumed it was an engine misfire but I could not get the CEL to illuminate.

Fast forward two weeks later going up another hill, I FINALLY got the CEL to go off and received a P0305 code! I cleared the code, switched ignition coil on cylinder 5 and 1 and hoped the CEL would illuminate again but on 1. The car continued to shuddered and hesitate but the CEL would not go off.

On May 11, 2018 I bought 8 Motorcraft SP-479 Spark Plug and gaped them to .054. Let me tell you, it took me 5 1/2 hours and it was a PITA! When changing the spark plugs, I can tell they were the originals as there were dirt and tips were semi burnt and the ignition coils didn't have dielectric grease so I had to use pliers to pull them out. The spark plug wells were bone dry no water, coolant, or oil. I cleaned all spark plug wells, put nickel anti seize on the threads, applied dielectric grease on the boots, and reinstalled.

I went for a test drive and everything seemed well until I went up a hill and it did it again! I went to O'Reily's today and bought one ignition coil (Master Pro) to see if it would help. I put in Cylinder 5 and 1 and the problem persists. I returned the product as the ignition coils are not the issue.

I was very confused at this point until I ran a mode 6 on my OBD2 scanner and went to Test $53 to see the misfires in my ECM and sure enough, cylinders 1,2,3,4,6,7,8 had ZERO misfires but cylinder 5 had 203. The misfires seems to happen while I am driving but no on startup or idle. My engine sounds great, my idle while in D is @ 600 and the RPM needle stays consistent and doesn't bounce. My hesitation issue ONLY happens I am accelerating or trying to under load and it would shudder @ around 45 MPH.

I have attached a few pics! I am assuming at this point it is a fuel injector related problem. There are no vacuum leaks or leaks anywhere on the car it sounds terrific! Please help!

I tried upload pics but it wouldn't work. I attached the picture to this link It shows the Freeze frame of when the hesitation occurred, mode 6 Test $50, $53, $54, $55, and $56. Any help is appreciated thanks!

grantpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the connector clip NOT holding the COP harness in? They are known to break easily-especially if you've removed them a few times. I had to buy a set of new harnesses for my '00 EB/4.6L as some of the harness clips broke while I was chasing a P0305.

OP
OP
B

Bon Do

Reaction score
Is the connector clip NOT holding the COP harness in? They are known to break easily-especially if you've removed them a few times. I had to buy a set of new harnesses for my '00 EB/4.6L as some of the harness clips broke while I was chasing a P0305.
All are nice and tight!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try replacing #5 injector, it might be slightly clogged, causing misfire under load. Misfires can be one of the toughest things to get a handle on. Also try cleaning the connector to both #5 coil, and injector. Lastly try a new boot on #5 coil. Beyond that start looking into a compression test of #5 and adjacent cylinders.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gregjenny9502

Reaction score
I am no expert by any means, I had same issue with my 2006 f150 5.4. Mine was always on cyl 3. Switched injector plugs and coil with a different cylinder. Mis under acceleration was still on 3. As a last ditch effort I dropped the exhaust down slightly on the passenger side to relieve any back pressure caused by a bad catalytic converter. After doing this it would not miss. I replaced the converter and immediately started getting a miss on the other side. Dropped that side of the exhaust and no more miss. So after replacing both cats all is good.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard of clogged cats causing loss of power, vibration, smell, but to trigger one cylinder, that's one for the books. Results don't lie! Thanks for the post, I'll have to remember for the future.

OP
OP
B

Bon Do

Reaction score
I appreciate your guys responses. I will do more testing this weekend. I am starting to believe it may be a CAT issue because EXPY sounds EXACTLY like these:

I already have ruled out COP and spark plugs as those have been replaced and getting spark. I will test #5 fuel injector but I have my doubts because when the CEL came on, the freeze frame showed LT FTRM1/2 at 0 which is PERFECT meaning it's not giving more or less gas in the injectors which is monitored by the O2 Sensor. I am believe it is an O2 sensor not giving the right air/fuel ratio because of the clogged cat.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another home way to test cats is with a heat gun aimed at inlet and outlet of all 4 cats. Your temp should be at least 80-120 degrees hotter on the out side towards exaust. If same or lower red flag you got a blockage. A badly clogged cat will actually glow red at darkness of night. That's a flat liner! When that bad your truck can't out run a moped!

gregjenny9502

Reaction score
I've heard of clogged cats causing loss of power, vibration, smell, but to trigger one cylinder, that's one for the books. Results don't lie! Thanks for the post, I'll have to remember for the future.

Yes, I had narrowed it down to a bad valve spring. Was contemplating tearing into it when my dad ( who was service Manger for a ford dealer for 35 years) said to try dropping that side of the exhaust and see if it stopped. I guess that cylinder valve spring was the weak link. Cats had turned to powder. I try to tell everyone this as an easy test.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman