2003 5.4 dies while driving, pull over, wait a second and I can restart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank B

Reaction score
When it dies while driving or even at a stop light, all the power options, radio, windows, etc still work. About a year ago this started but was happening only once every 6 months. It has now gotten progressively worse and is doing it weekly. Now it takes a couple minutes of just leaving it alone and when I crank it restarts. I have heard this is a common problem but never heard the cause....Any ideas???? Thanks

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello Frank and welcome to the Forum.

Some additional information would be helpful in helping you.

Model, Year, Engine, Mileage, and any maintenance done lately.

Any maintenance that should have been done but you skipped as in Changing Fuel Filter, Air Filter, etc?

bavism

Reaction score
If it's dying because your fuel pump relay is going out it should produce an error code in the PCM (P0231) Fuel pump sencondary circuit low. For me it didn't set off the CEL so I don't know if a standard ODB2 reader will pickup the code. I use a bluetooth adapter and forscan to read the codes. I'm actually going to attempt to replace my relay this weekend. (Time to brush up on my soldering skills)

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to step away from this It appears that you have plenty of help But the big reason is that since the OP posted about his problem he hasn't been back to check If he don't care then why should I waste my time Sorry for being honest about this

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been my personal experience with my two failed fuel pumps, one on my 86 mustang gt and one on my 89 Lincoln mark 7. They went out all at once and had to be towed home. Are you sure your not losing spark? The next time it dies bring along a can of carburetor spray or starting fluid. Right after it dies spray a shot into intake. Easy way to know it's fuel and not spark. Relays as a rule usually fail all at once. But again when it dies check power in and out of enertia switch that goes to pump. If you have power in and out with SUV running but not when it dies. Then you know it's relay or any fuse powering it. Fuel filters are pretty large on these trucks, and would take a lot to clog. If you or the past owner is one who likes to run the fuel tank low on fuel on a regular basis, the pump in the tank overheats, and you get premature failure. Try these electrical tests next time it quits. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65