2003 5.4 Expedition timing chain "slap" sound...but isnt timing chain...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As to your question yes, your timing chain tensioners are oil pressurized. They do fail. That's why you never reuse them. That along with the plastic chain guides falling apart, and all the debris landing in the pan, and clogs up the oil pickup screen. In actuality the timing chains, guides, and tensioners should be changed out by 130, 000 miles. Timing belts had to be changed every 60k, nowadays that's 90k. But nobody is going to put out that kind of expense. Timing belts snap if you push them too far, chains just jingle and clank! Oh yea you might want to move your post over to expeditions forum second gen. The other forums like engines don't post on my email, or timeline. That's why it took a long time getting back. More members read those part of forum first.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5w20 was specified by Ford only to supposedly increase fuel economy as their EPA estimates were
overstated. My 03 XLT 5.4 has had Mobil 1 10w30 along with the Mobil 1 oil filters every 4K miles since the first oil change (always personally done) and now have over 250K on vehicle and engine runs dead
perfect with zero noise. Others I know who used 5w20 saw the early demise of engine timing components
and diminishing compression from excessive ring wear. Ford loves the intended side effect of the worthless thin oil in terms of premature engine failure leading to more vehicle replacement sales in the shorter term.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I did the full timing compliment on an 05 3V motor never on the 2V. As they are both SOHC design, I'd think it's about the same effort. 3 day weekend job... Friday was disassemble, Saturday was reassemble the motor, Sunday was accessories and hitting the key. If you are going to do it, do it all. Chains, tensioners, guides. I'd assume that the cam and crank sprockets come with the chain. I did th eoil pump on mine as part of the 3V problem is a loss of oil pressure at higher RPM's due to the back plate flexing. It's a bit of a pain, but the pump will come off without dropping the pan. Also plan on water pump, belts, etc. It's a big job but gratifying.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand parts did you use? And how are they holding up?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I used a hodgepodge assortment of aftermarket. The oil pump was Mellings. I put about 45,000 miles on it aftet the job before I traded it in on our 17. Never made a tick again other then the expected injector noise. When I fired it up for the first time and heard silence... that was one of my most gratifying mechanical achievements lol.