2003 Expedition caliper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viki B

Reaction score
Just installed reman caliper. I am getting nothing out of the bleeder screw. I get fluid if I loosen the banjo bolt. Any ideas?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it the front or rear? Why did you change caliper? And why just 1? Calipers should be replaced in pairs. How many times are you or assistant pumping pedal before holding? Not that it matters but two or four wheel drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the four wheel abs brakes, and pretty sure you do, you have to hook a abs scanner like a new generation star type or equivalent. Their is a setting on it for doing the bleeding on abs systems. One of the other guys might know of a way to get around it. Every abs system has their own techniques to boost fluid to bleed. You might have to tow to shop or dealer for bleed sequence.

OP
OP
V

Viki B

Reaction score
Stuck caliper per my mechanic. Decided to replace myself. Caliper delivered in box, bleeder screw was poking out of box. Didn't appear to be damaged. Had to remove debris then I could blow air through it (took it off caliper) No fluid with entire bleeder screw removed from caliper. I find it hard to believe damage occurred internally. The fluid from banjo screw is very little. I'm going to replace brake hose to see if that helps. I'm not sure about an abs scanner. I have always been able to bleed my brakes with a bleeder screw. I shoot myself for not testing the bleeder on the old caliper that was removed.

OP
OP
V

Viki B

Reaction score
Is it the front or rear? Why did you change caliper? And why just 1? Calipers should be replaced in pairs. How many times are you or assistant pumping pedal before holding? Not that it matters but two or four wheel drive?

left front, mechanic told me sticking a couple weeks ago. Was not unsticking yesterday so I decided to replace. we have pumped pedal 30 times. 4 wheel drive. reservoir is full. gonna try to replace brake hose

JoeD

Reaction score
you might have success by reverse bleeding that caliper

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Viki, your not reading my post. According to everything I've read it's not your hose, unless it's leaking or torn. Your issue is to bleed the brakes on an abs setup they need to be hooked up to an abs scanner and bled that way. Double check with your Ford dealer, or a shop in your town that knows your vehicle, but that's what I'm getting. I'm sure one of our other members will either agree or correct me.

yaanufs

Reaction score
Viki, your not reading my post. According to everything I've read it's not your hose, unless it's leaking or torn. Your issue is to bleed the brakes on an abs setup they need to be hooked up to an abs scanner and bled that way. Double check with your Ford dealer, or a shop in your town that knows your vehicle, but that's what I'm getting. I'm sure one of our other members will either agree or correct me.

I've replaced all the calipers on my 2003. All were easy to bleed.

To test the theory of 1955moose, can you confirm if you can bleed the caliper on the other wheel of the same axle? If that one bleeds easily, then surely we are not talking about the ABS scanner solution?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that's good news if it works yaanufs. I'm only quoting from what I've read only multiple sites. When I did my brakes on my 2000, I didn't have to bleed. If she has a functioning master cylinder and caliper, with hydraulic pressure building up, fluid should shoot out. She or her mechanic can trace backwards where the pressure is being lost. I thought it was strange that they said that on the website as well. Every abs brake setup has its own quirky way of bleeding. I had a first year Lincoln 1989 with abs that required 25 or more pumps of pedal with key on to bleed rears only. Fronts were done with my bleeder tank the normal way. Can anyone else that's bled their Expedition comment on if she needs the scanner to fool the abs, or not.