2003 Expo Idling Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech

Reaction score
On some mornings when it is rather cold, or nights after driving my Expo and I go to start it, I have noticed that when it is idling, even though it is very subtle, it does this weird hi-lo-hi-lo-hi-lo idling pattern then it will just completely stop. The tach never moves from its spot from a normal idle but I can hear it. Should I be nervous about this? And how can I fix it, because it is really more annoying that anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dan1a1984

Reaction score
I would take it to auto zone and have them scan computer for codes. Most auto parts store will do it for free. sounds like it may be an O2 sensor.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not your engine fan kicking on and off..... the clutch does this when the temps drop because the silicone fluid in the viscous clutch gets thick just like Barbie's boobies.....

If the rpms aren't changing and your hear a sound that seems to come and go like a whining wind sound I would bet money on it being the fan.

Matt R

OP
OP
T

Tech

Reaction score
I never thought of that. But I can feel it and hear it when I am in my Expo too. If it was the fan, I should of only heard it outside my Expo right?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heck no... that thing is loud like a really pronounced whirring sound You can definitely here it inside when the radio isn't on

OP
OP
T

Tech

Reaction score
But, its not so much as a "whirring" sound but it is very suttle. Could it be the same thing?

You do have a point because it only does it when it is cold.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when it is cold pop the hood before you start it... have someone start the truck. put your hand around the engine cover that says 5.4 triton. When the fan engages and starts making noise you will feel extra air blowing over the engine in that area.

Matt R

dan1a1984

Reaction score
Typically idling problems are due to bad 02 sensors. Have any auto part store scan your engines computer for faults.