2003 Rear End Noise & Whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnybecool

Reaction score
I've read it all over the web. A majority of F150's, Explorers, Mountaineers & Expedition's have the inherited rear end problem now identified under TBS 05-23-3. Ford has a quick fix but you have to pay for it. How can I get FORD to pay for repairs to the clutch pack and ring & pinion, if the vehicle doesn't have the original warrantee. My vehicle has 47000 miles and I'm the 2nd owner. It's gonna cost $1500.00. How can I get some help. I know that I'm not the only one with this concern and I see that other members are paying through the nose. How come Ford doesn't have this as a recall if hundreds are having the same problem?

Kemp

Reaction score
Rear end

I agree with you. Below answer (for my email) I got from Ford USA.

Dear JP,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding vehicle recall rationale.

Ford Motor Company makes every effort to maintain a high standard of quality control in our manufacturing processes. However, despite these efforts, every now and then unintended malfunctions or mechanical "glitches" may surface. Recalls are issued on items that may cause safety or emissions concerns with vehicles.

Many factors are used to determine when a recall is necessary. Some of these include warranty, vehicle history, customer contacts, dealer input. These factors help determine when a vehicle recall is necessary. This is to ensure that our customers have the best possible vehicle ownership experience in light of some concerns, and/or defects that may be related to vehicles manufactured at the same plant or with the same components during specific time frames. No vehicle manufacturer is exempt from the possibility of vehicle recalls.

Please keep in mind that The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall.

Conversely, your vehicle ????????? is not involved in any recalls or customer satisfaction programs at this time. For more information on Ford Motor Company recalls or vehicle campaigns, regional recall programs, or concerns you may be having with your vehicle, please contact your dealership directly.

To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership please visit www.genuineservice.com and enter your zip code.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Mike
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

[THREAD ID:1-33UQ3N]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 9/18/2006 01:09:12 PM
To:
Subject: Problem_with_my_vehicle

Mileage : 57000
Contacted Dealer: Yes
Servicing Dealer: Fairway Ford, Evans
Vehicle location: My possession
Home Address:
City:
State/Province:Georgia
Questions: Dear Ford,
I have Expedition 2003 and rearend is whining pretty again (and making
sounds when turning). After Fairway Ford repaired it for $1400 problem
went almost away. It still had little whining but not too bad. (I paid
$250 because Fairway Ford at Evans was very nice and they helped me with
this!). That time my car had 38000 miles on it. Now it has 57000 miles and
it is doing it again badly. Whining sound is very loud especially 50 to 60
mph speed.

Question: Why Ford does not recall this well known issue and fix it before
something happens?

This could be serious safety issue if rear end "locks up" at 70mph?

Sincerely,
Kemp