2003 STARTER WON'T CRANK WITHOUT PRESSING DRIVER DOOR UNLOCK ONCE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes when I go to start the truck it won't crank (starter won't engage) unless I hit the driver door unlock button once and I don't know if that is normal. Plus, the lights in the part of the instrument cluster that contains the compass/odometer/temperature blind bright/dim twice at random time intervals. When they blink bright, the parking lamps front and back also blink on/off.
Thanks in advance for your help !

Plati

Reaction score
Does it have remote start? Might be related … (start thing anyway)

My 2003 (factory remote start) has a security lockout feature where if you unlock the door with the key but you locked it with the fob then you cant start engine. I've been unable to start it with the key after changing the battery without doing a remote start first … kinda thing

Never have really figured out the whole protocol

OP
OP
S

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's an XLT and doesn't appear to have anything relating to remote start. When looking at the build sheet I didn't see anything about remote start or optional anti-theft equipment. What all came with your factory remote start ? Have you replaced any electronic control modules ?

Thanks for your prompt reply to my thread !

Plati

Reaction score
It's an XLT and doesn't appear to have anything relating to remote start. When looking at the build sheet I didn't see anything about remote start or optional anti-theft equipment. What all came with your factory remote start ? Have you replaced any electronic control modules ?

Thanks for your prompt reply to my thread !
I think there is a transceiver by the rear view mirror, a module wired in under the dash by steering wheel, a wire that goes from there to a fuel injector, and a new keyfob. Never replaced any ECMs.

OP
OP
S

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks again for your prompt reply !
I will be glad to help you in any way possible with your 2003. Mine's a rust free Florida 2WD.