2004 eddie bauer ABS C1998

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh1095

Reaction score
I have been looking for an answer to this and have come up empty handed. Hours and hours of searching.

So basically if you have some old error codes stored in the abs and software to access it? Do NOT clear the old codes. For some reason it causes a C1998. Learned this the hard way.

It means you have to calibrate the ABS module. I'm using forscan and can log and manually change many many things but i'm very leery of running the "as built" ABS module calibration.

I even went to motorcraftservice.com, enter my VIN, and get the .AB file for my vehicle. Cool feature if you didn't know about it. It's gray area though and i'm not coming up with any answers as to whether i can load this. i do not want to cause any further issues. Ford dealer knew exactly what had happened, it's an inherent flaw in the system he said. Told me it would take 10 minutes or and it's very cheap to reflash it, 90 bucks. That's what i'll likely do but i was wondering if anyone else has Forscan and has ran the ABS as-built module flash.

Having C1998 causes the traction light to flash constantly and after about 1 minute of driving the check advanctrac message will pop up. No abs problems or anything, just those two annoying things. No other error codes after plenty of mixed driving yesterday, just C1998
The code can not be cleared without calibration/loading file.

Thanks for any help or opinions

jdecker

Reaction score
Did you replace and calibrate the steering position before you cleared your C1277 code? If not that is what triggered the C1998

OP
OP
J

josh1095

Reaction score
Unfortunately you cannot calibrate steering position with forscan. Not at this time, anyway. I have logged the values and it's smooth and linear. No issues in the log with steering angle.
I think that the code for that was an old one. I am the 3rd owner.
I found others who have had the exact same problem after clearing abs codes but no one has tried what i mentioned. Or at least no one has reported back after trying it.
I don't feel much like being the guinea pig

OP
OP
J

josh1095

Reaction score
As Built Data, straight from motorcraftservice.com(specific to VIN) is identical to my abs module. All 5 rows of hex are the same.
Taking it to the dealer so they can do the calibration. If i just wouldn't have reset the codes all would be perfectly fine............
Oh well.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this out the hard way too. If you know anybody with a snap on diagnostic tool they can do it with that. First time I had ford do it and it was 90 bucks, second time I replaced a sensor and had a friend do it for free with a snapon verus. My problem ended up being the plastic wheel that is on the steering column for the angle sensor was cracked. Replaced that 9 dollar plastic wheel and all was good.

OP
OP
J

josh1095

Reaction score
I found this out the hard way too. If you know anybody with a snap on diagnostic tool they can do it with that. First time I had ford do it and it was 90 bucks, second time I replaced a sensor and had a friend do it for free with a snapon verus. My problem ended up being the plastic wheel that is on the steering column for the angle sensor was cracked. Replaced that 9 dollar plastic wheel and all was good.

Thank you, i'll check into that. See if anyone i know has one

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Worse case you can find a mechanic shop around town and pay him like 20 or so. Better than 90 bucks to ford