2004 epedition door hinge cracks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12yearhondatech

Reaction score
I have a 2004 expedition and both rear doors are cracked around where the door hindge mounts to the doors. Has anybody else experieced this? If so doese anybody know a repair for this problem. Both rear doors are about ready to fall off. Please help. Thanks

beegshot

Reaction score
Uh-oh. I found this thread searching for a solution to the cracks in my 03 rear doors. Is there anybody out there that has had and fixed this problem?

OP
OP

12yearhondatech

Reaction score
Uh-oh. I found this thread searching for a solution to the cracks in my 03 rear doors. Is there anybody out there that has had and fixed this problem?

I haven't found anybody else with this problem or a fix yet. I'm thinking about taking some 1/8 inch aluiminum plate drilling holes above and below the door hinges and sandwich two aluiminum plates together with bolts to reinforce the doors.

hackman162

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone ever find a solution to this? I am seeing this on the right, rear door of my wifes Expy.

Thx!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope...take pics of what u have so we all can see

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure the metal is actually cracked, and it's not just paint cracking from metal that was flexing under the strain of the door. That would not surprise me based on Ford's paint issues with the 2nd gen.

hackman162

Reaction score
It's cracked. I will try to get some pics this week. You can see the crack and the metal actually move when moving the door, and the hinge is not moving. IMO, they engineered the hinge too strong. It should break before the door, as it is a replaceable item.

Welfarewagon

Reaction score
My 04 is doing the same thing, no picture but its where the 4 spot welds are inside the door skin next to where the hing itself attaches.

CR_Magruder

Reaction score
How I fixed door hinge cracking

In my case the inside hinge plate was separated from the skin enough to leave a gap between the two surfaces.

I took off the inside door panel so I could have a look inside to make sure I would not drill through something I did not want to drill through. Then I put a jack under the door to support it while I loosened up the bolts holding the door to the hinges. This is so I could open the door beyond the normal range to get access to the spot welds with a drill.

IMG_1619.jpg

Here is a shot of the cracked sheet metal. I let this go too long. I could hear the crinkle-crackle when the door was fully open, but did not inspect it closely when it first started. It looks like the welds furthest away from the hinge failed first, then the extra stress at the hinge mounts caused the cracking at that location.

IMG_1614.jpg

The upper hinge was not affected, so I only had to deal with the bottom hinge. A new door from Ford was almost $2000, and that does not include painting and swapping the glass and other parts. So a repair attempt was definitely in order.

The next step is to drill out the welds and a few extra holes between, above and below the welds. I might have gone a little overboard here. By having the holes all in a line, there is a new path for a crack to travel between the holes if there is enough stress to cause more cracking. Look inside the door carefully before you drill, since the inside hinge plate does not extend very far past the factory welds. You don't want to drill through the door skin and not hit the hinge plate inside. I started with a 1/8" drill bit. You will need a long bit, since there is not enough room to get the drill chuck in there with the door still (loosely) attached. If you have time and room in your shop, take the door off and you will be able to do a much better job.

After you get the pilot hole started, drill out to the size of rivets you will be using.

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

I prepared about 10cc of JB Weld to squirt in between the door skin and the inside door plate. A syringe from the feed store was about $0.50. Pack the epoxy into the syringe and force it in between the panels as much as you can.

IMG_1625.jpg

Then put some rivets in the holes and you are 90% done. I had these 1/4" rivets left over from another repair on our Lincoln. They are big enough that you cannot use a hand-operated tool to set them. I borrowed an air-powered rivet gun from work, which sucked them right in. This tool is badass! If you don't have this option, use the biggest pop-rivets you can pull with a hand-tool.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Here is what it looked like when it was all done. Note that the rivet heads are not flush with the door skin. This is because I could not get the rivet gun perpendicular to the body panel surface in that tight spot. Since I already had the epoxy in, I just went for it and put all the rivets in, just a little bit crooked. I did not have time to take the door off at that point to get the rivets in straight.

IMG_1626.jpg

This is a shot of the inside of the door, looking at the expanded side of the rivets. You can see the epoxy has gooshed out of the rivet holes. Hope I got a nice layer between the panels. No way to know for sure.

IMG_1629.jpg

The next day I tightened up the bolts to re-set the door, and saw that two of the rivets were blocking the door hinge from living in the correct location. So I had to drill out two of the rivets to get the door lined up correctly with the latch and the body opening.

IMG_1633.jpg

Last thing I did was to run a magnet down inside the bottom of the door to pick up as many chips as possible. Don't want them to start rusting and corroding the inside of the door.

IMG_1632.jpg

That's how I solved my problem. Time will tell if it was a good repair or not. If the rivets start to get loose, I still have the option to take the door completely off, drill out the rivets and replace them with new ones, making sure that the rivets go in squarely this time.

Best,

CR