2004 Exp. fuel gauge issues before and after fuel pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an odd situation with my gauge. I will start from the beginning.. About a month ago I needed to get gas. I was down towards empty and the guage reading said 15 miles DTE. I dropped $10 into the tank and left. I noticed my gauge reading said 8 DTE. My first thought was that the pump was wrong and I didnt get as much gas as I should have. I drove to another station and dropped another $10 and the gauge stayed at 8 DTE. Then I shut it off and dropped in $20. It was at this point that the DTE went up to 120 miles. A week later I am driving the car with roughly 80 miles DTE and the pump went out. I had to have the pump replaced. It was cheaper for me to get the pump and have them install it. So I purchased a Delphi pump from RockAuto for $195. I get the pump replaced and all was well. Today I left the house after letting it sit for a 2 weeks and it said 12 DTE. I was actually on the way to the gas station so I didnt think it mattered. Before I made it to the gas station it ran out of gas. I was pretty close to my parents house so I went there and got a 2 gallon tank to drop in. I put 2 gallons in and the car started up. At this point it was at 8 DTE. I went to the gas station and dropped in $10 since this is all I had. After putting in the gas the gauge read 5 DTE. Rather odd...

I was under the impression that the new pump would have come with a sending unit. I called the shop to see if the sender was replaced and they are looking into it. Any thoughts??

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you bought a fuel pump assy it will have the sender...not sure if its terminology or what the difference is with just a fuel pump...that may not mean sender and everything...call rock auto to see if it had the sender on it...

could be they didnt fix it and are screwing you to come back to get work done...and kept the NEW PUMP

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Delphi for $195 at RockAuto is the entire module. What does the computer say if you fill the tank ? What does the fuel gauge say? Fill the tank, pull the negative battery cable off for a few minutes to let everything reset, and see what it says. Have you changed the fuel filter lately?

-Mike

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. I have not filled the tank yet. I drive an explorer also and it's a little more forgiving on gas so I haven't had much chance to drive it. I also haven't had enough money to fill it up. Lol. I would have to think the pump was replaced. I called them back and asked if the sender was included/installed and they said yes.

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what was shown on gauge the other day after putting in $10. Today I dropped $10 in it and the gauge read the same thing. After driving it for around 5 minutes and parking it and starting back up a few minutes later the gauge went up to almost 1/4 and read 80 miles DTE. One would assume its the sender. Odd thing is that it was doing this before the sender/pump was replaced. So its tells me that something else is causing this inaccuracy.

Attachments

• 2013-07-13 14.21.52.jpg
    2013-07-13 14.21.52.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 610
  • 2013-07-13 14.22.36.jpg
    2013-07-13 14.22.36.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 562