2004 Expedition:Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

painoz

Reaction score
2004 Ford Expedition XLT with 5.4L. Vehicle has 60,000 miles on it. Well maintained. Had no problems, then on trip from Washington to California for Christmas, we pull into get gas just outside of Bay area. Go to back up to pump and vehicle will not reverse normally...kind of ******/jumped backwards (like emergency brake was on). Got gas, then put it in drive and again it was like e brake was on.....Had it towed to Walnut Creek Ford.....mechanic says its full of metal shavings....bottom line....new transmission. Unbelievable....60000 miles and needing a new transmission. Any idea how much this is going to cost? Called customer relations...they said basically take it up with the service manager and see if anything the dealership can do....so basically, sorry.

Selling my stock in Ford.....will never buy a Ford again. Anyone with similar experiences?

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crappy time of year - I agree - ask to see if they can do anything - owned it since new? Or used - the old owner might have pounded on it? If since new then the dealer should be open to options... don't dump on Ford until after you figure out if they will do something for you, and I am not confident they will, but give them a chance... wrong time of year also, take up the good fight in the new year and see if ford will do something, after all they are the last North American Auto maker - and I am also worried about the tranny... mine just seems a little funny with the electronic shift points - seems solid other than that - but occasionally I ask myself why did it do that? FORD don't let us down... help the faithful, and atleast help the owners...

OP
OP
P

painoz

Reaction score
I am the original owner. I will keep the board posted on if Ford alienates another long customer.

Merry Christmas

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles. This is not a common problem on low mileage Expy's or F150's, so I wouldn't shy away from Ford just yet. I have towed a 6000 lb boat/trailer combo for the last 3 summers (see sig) and the tranny hasn't missed a beat (knock on wood). I bought it with 27K on it in Jan '08, and it now has 67K. I hope the dealer can at least give you a discount on the parts and labor, but I would guess they aren't going to cover it all. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

painoz

Reaction score
Update: Ford basically tried to place it on the dealership to eat some of the cost. I am from Seattle and in California (XMAS with family), so the dealership is not going to help since I didn't buy it there. Looks like over $2000 to fix.....Ford not gonna help. Anyone have contact information for the Western regional manager for Ford. Ford Customer service line is worthless.

Disgusted long time Ford owner and stock holder.

Marsr

Reaction score
My 2001 EB 5.4 55K trans with tow package, had the same issue with it locking up at 15-20mph, it felt like I was hitting the ebrake. Had to have my trans rebuilt mech that rebuilt it said it was torn up. I am the original owner and I do tow a small boat 30 miles a few times a year. No reason why it would only last for 55k miles.

Makdaddy

Reaction score
I just had the same type issue with my 2004
It wont go right into gear at drive it hesitates
I had the filter and fluid changed at 65000 as a precaution
I bought the truck with 62000
Now at 74000 it needs rebuilt

carinfoguy

Reaction score
Okay so my mom bought a 2004 ford expedition with 140,*** miles on it about 3 weeks ago, and it cuts off sometimes while driving and make a wierd noise when it stalls. One day it cut off and wouldnt start till about 30 seconds after it stalled, but it started up fine and drove home perfect. Well my mom let me drive it one day and i wanted to see how much power the 5.4l had so when i hammered down on it and it had to down shift at about 25 mph the engine went up to 6300-6500 rpm revs and the vehicle ****** and the rpms went all the way to zero and then back to around 1000-1100 rpms. So i guess it didnt stall completely cuz it cut back on so is there a transmission issue for the engine reving that high in Drive but not going anywhere? Or is there a fuel system issue or both, or even something else? Someone please help.