2005 EB - Dead battery after sitting a few days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XR4Ti

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down a problem on my '05 Ford Expedition EB (with < 30kmi). If I let the truck sit for a few days, the battery will be dead, or very low. In the cold, it's worse (predictably).

The battery checks out ok, the alternator is ok. The dealer replaced the instrument cluster per Canadian TSB 06-8-13. They couldn't give any details, but presumably, something in the cluster was pulling too much current after the vehicle went into sleep mode. They took amperage measurements and declared the problem fixed.

The problem still remains. In fact, after two 30min runs on Sunday, it just arely started today (Tues). It was cold here (approx -10F). The vehicle is fully loaded, so I appreciate there will be some current draw when sitting, but I don't expect it to drain the battery within a week.

So I am starting to look up other TSBs to see if there is anything else related, like 18512, 18390, and 05134. Unforunately, I can't find the full text anywhere.

One of them relates to a slight delay from when I turn the key before the starter begins cranking, which is a problem I have.

It sounds like I've got abnormal current draw.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

OP
OP
X

XR4Ti

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. "Priority Start" -- is that an aftermarket item to sense when the voltage drops too low?

Does that not mean that every time it kicks in, your ECM and presets lose power and get reset?

Originally posted by chuck s
I have the same problem with my Explorer. I've assumed it's the stuff plugged into the 12v sockets. Priority Start has worked, though. Cuts the power when it gets too low.

-- Chuck

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to troubleshoot it yourself you can do this.
Remove one battery cable and wire in ampmeter in series (the clamp on ampmeters usually aren't sensitive enough).
See of current draw is excessive if not it must just be a bad battery.
If excessive current draw exists then start pulling fuses till the draw goes away.
Also to make sure the alternator itself isn't drawing too much current remove all wires from it (be careful not to short anything).
Hope this helps,
Matt R

OP
OP
X

XR4Ti

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...

So prior to taking it in under warranty, I had put in an ammeter and saw it pulled around 700mA -- that seemed a little high. But apparently, I didn't wait for "sleep mode" to kick in, which, according to the dealer is after about 1hr.

Their current measurements were 60mA in sleep mode before they replaced the instrument panel and 10mA after. To me, those are pretty small draws that shouldn't drain a battery, even after a week!

Now, I do notice that I never lose my radio stations, so there's obviously something left in the battery, even when it won't turn over. Come to think of it, that almost suggests a starter (or wiring to, or ground) problem (?). Thoughts?

Apparently, as part of the diagnostic procedure for the TSB, they do a fuse pull.

Regarding the alternator drawing (when not moving?) -- don't they just put a diode inline to prevent that? I remember doing that fix on my Dad's 1978 Olds diesel but that's 20yrs ago! Surely it's not a problem nowadays?

BTW, I did check to make sure there's no interior lights on.

Originally posted by green03
If you want to troubleshoot it yourself you can do this.
Remove one battery cable and wire in ampmeter in series (the clamp on ampmeters usually aren't sensitive enough).
See of current draw is excessive if not it must just be a bad battery.
If excessive current draw exists then start pulling fuses till the draw goes away.
Also to make sure the alternator itself isn't drawing too much current remove all wires from it (be careful not to short anything).
Hope this helps,
Matt R

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, when it acts up check the voltage at the battery. If the voltage looks good have someone try to crank it. If the voltage doesn't drop when trying to crank then you have an electrical problem with the starter system since it isn't drawing any current from the battery. Is ther an alarm system installed that has starter kill? I don't want to jump to any conclusions untill I have the facts.....
Matt R

OP
OP
X

XR4Ti

Reaction score
Actually, I did at some point a while back but I can't remember exactly what the voltage was. I think it was 11-12V after trying but failing to start it. I felt it had the symptoms of a dead cell -- charged up (ok, via alternator), starts fine immediately after stopping it after a ride, a few days later - dead. But, the dealer said they load tested the battery and said it was fine. There's just the factory alarm. The vehicle is completely stock -- no aftermarket accy, and nothing plugged into the cigarette lighters. But it does have the GPS.

Is is reasonable to expect the truck to sit for 1wk in 0F weather and still expect it to start (I had to boost it over the weekend prior to the 30min ride).

Originally posted by green03
well, when it acts up check the voltage at the battery. If the voltage looks good have someone try to crank it. If the voltage doesn't drop when trying to crank then you have an electrical problem with the starter system since it isn't drawing any current from the battery. Is ther an alarm system installed that has starter kill? I don't want to jump to any conclusions untill I have the facts.....
Matt R

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it has a bad cell it will drop the voltage while trying to start then quickly recover after the load decreases. I would expect it to be able to sit that long in that cold of weather for only a week.... I let mine sit in Chicago for 2 weeks in that weather and it was fine when I tried to start it. It was starting to get sluggish but it started up fine.
I will replace the battery with an Optima when the stock one dies. I use them in my other 2 vehicles and love the abuse they can take. My battery in the Exped is bordering on 4 years old so I expect it to go any time now.....
Matt R

01xltexpo

Reaction score
on my explorer i had a bad cell that would work off and on as well, sometimes the vehicle wouldnt start, i would check the voltage and it would 10 and a half volts, then i wait a few hours, i check the voltage and it would be almost 13 volts and it would start right up, this happend on me with 2 vehicles, and both the batteries were the one's had that little see through window to see if the battery is dead.

danno34

Reaction score
05 xlt

I know this is probably a shot in the dark being this thread is over 4 years old but I am having this same exact problem with my 05 XLT. After sitting a few days straight of not being started at all it won't start and needs a jump. It starts right away after jumping less then a minute but I cant figure out what is causing this. I checked the volts on the alt and battery and everything is normal. Was wondering if this problem was ever corrected and if so what was the solution? Thanks guys. I'm going nuts here trying to figure this out and it is so inconvienient! Much appreciated!!!