2005 Engine on a 2004 Nightmare!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldScoolNoe

Reaction score
I have questions regarding a 2005 Ford Expedition Engine on a 2004 Ford Expedition.
The owner is experiencing a rough idle.
The owner has swapped a 2005 5.4L onto his 2004 Expedition.
I pulled the #1 spark plug and the spark plug is new! (half arc type)
The owner has very recently installed 2004 Expedition spark plugs....on a 2005 Expedition Motor.
I understand that the 2004 5.4L is a 2 valve and the 2005 changed to a 3 valve.

Spark Plug info I found:
Motorcraft SP479 (fits model years '98-'04) gap = .054 Ground Electrode = Half Arc
Motorcraft SP546 (fits model years '05-'08) gap = .45 Ground Electrode - Full Arc

Looks like the owner is going to have to pay for spark plugs again

Ignition Coil Info:
Motorcraft DG508 (fits model years '97-'04)
Motorcraft DG511 (fits model years '05-'08)

I saw different coil ends the owner had on the vehicle. The bottom of the ignition coil's boot is flush with the metal "spring" on half of the coils, and half of the coils have the "spring" a bit more recessed into the boot.

Looks like the owner is going to need 8 new ignition coils.

My questions: Let's say the owner does change all the spark plugs/ignition coils for 2005 model year parts, is the 2004 PCM capable of correctly running the 2005 3V engine?
Are vacuum routings/hoses the same?

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
I'll assume an '05 engine harness went in with the engine. (I had a 2004 years ago, it was a 2V motor and I don't think a 3V was available in the Expedition that year.) Can't imagine an '04 PCM being capable of handling the 3V. There's so much more going on with the 3V--controlling phaser position and everything that goes with it...Intake Manifold Runner Control, and more. Sounds like expert guidance from someone that's actually put a 3V in an '04 weigh in.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2004 years ago, it was a 2V motor and I don't think a 3V was available in the Expedition that year.
Correct.
Can't imagine an '04 PCM being capable of handling the 3V. There's so much more going on with the 3V--controlling phaser position and everything that goes with it...Intake Manifold Runner Control, and more. Sounds like expert guidance from someone that's actually put a 3V in an '04 weigh in.
I agree…

C Trost

Reaction score
That is also swapping one nightmare for another. That 3V is/was a POS engine. Story after story after story of issues with the abomination of a valve train design for that engine. I had the 2V 275k mi not 1 issue. The 3V let go at 141k just after the phaser, T chain, guides, oil pump etc job. Good luck with it while it lasts.