2005 Expedition timing chain kit replacement. Can a (fairly capable) newbie do it? (moral support thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proftomda

Reaction score
It sounds like you are a capable guy so I would ask 2 questions. 1. Do you have a decent place to work on it and 2. Do you possess patience when working on mechanical things? With all the information available to do this job, it really a matter of following directions carefully. I did this job about 5 years ago on my sons truck. I methodically removed every part and laid them out on tables in the order removed and it still took me multiple days. Truck runs perfectly with that improved oil pump and cast iron timing tensioners. I did not do the roller followers because the truck only had 100k on it. You definately want to do those at your mileage. 5W-30 oil is this engines best friend.

clbaseballa25

Reaction score
I found this through a Google search and here’s my situation:

2006 Expedition Limited 131k. Paint is faded from AZ sun and front seats are torn. It ran smooth for 3yrs and I have only put about 4K/yr on it as I have a short work commute and only really use it for towing my motorcycles to the local track(10mi round trip) other than commuting.

Back in Dec while driving to work I swerved to avoid some road debris and afterwards I couldn’t accelerate above 50mph. I got a check engine light and shut down the motor. I ran the codes and got 3 misfire codes but stupidly cleared them and haven’t been able to get the codes to come back as the engine will crank but not start.

I noticed an oil leak from the passenger side VCT and replaced it. Still doesn’t start. I had a mobile mechanic look at it and he couldn’t determine root cause only that there was no spark. He determined it might be PCM but couldn’t say for certain. Since then I have done an oil change, changed crank angle sensor and cleaned throttle body and both cam position sensors. I had another mobile mechanic look at it and he determined it’s low compression and most likely timing chain issues(possibly skipped). Before the breakdown it ran fine however I noticed a rattling noise from passenger side that I thought was alternator but now think it was the chain tensioner.

Like OP I can do replacement work but wouldn’t know what to check while doing it. I have done a timing belt before but not a chain. I am willing to put maybe $1500 into this as due to the paint and front seats it’s worth maybe $3-4k max in running condition so no point paying $5k+ for a quality rebuilt motor.

That said, where would I go to get the timing chain set? I found this kit on Amazon and it looks like OEM parts but a few reviews have said it is missing some of the parts needed: https://a.co/d/5dPjNOv

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
I’ve been using Varsity Ford Parts online and have been very pleased. Of course you have to get the individual components but at least you know it’s Ford.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition