2005 Ford Expedition 4x4 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copper

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the process of mapping out and gathering parts to convert my 2005 Ford Expedition to a 4x4. I need some additional information though. I do not wish to do a solid axle swap (SAS) as I'd like to keep the stock IFS. I've measured underneath mine, some 4x4 Expeditions, and F150's and they all appear to have the same frame dimensions. I know about the main parts to obtain, front differential, transfer case, rotors, CV axles, hubs, hoses, wires, but I wanted to know if someone has a breakdown of every single part to add into the system. I thought about a donor truck, but after looking at prices it's more cost effective to buy the pieces individually. That said, it's not like I can look down there from a donor truck, see the piece, then transfer it over. Not everything is on a 4x4 truck at any of the junkyards all the time either for me to look at and examine either. If anyone has pictures they can take of a breakdown of everything to gather or knows all the parts, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'm assuming the transmission needs to be taken apart as well in order to put a new output shaft in it, correct? I'm fully aware that this may not be easy and I may have to take a lot out of the engine bay to get everyhting in place. I've looked at other 4x4 swap threads for this generation and it is a very daunting task.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
May want to pick up a theft recovery 4x4 version or lightly wrecked and swap over the good parts from yours.
I have done complete body swaps before, and sometimes its faster than fabricating/modifying the chassis. If you have access to a lift and can pull the complete shell and roll the 2wd chassis out and the 4wd chassis in, you may save time and $$$. In this case you could even get a donor that was rolled. Other advantage is you can minimize downtime by building the new rolling chassis with all of your engine/trans upgrades that you listed in your other threads and then do the body swap when its ready. Then you can minimize downtime by still driving your current vehicle the way it is while you build the donor roller chassis.