2005 Front Vibration, Wheel Bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonkelly

Reaction score
I think I have a bad wheel bearings. What is the best way to tell other than raising the vehicle and seeing if there is play in the wheels? There is mild play when I move at 9 and 3, but I assume that is normal because the steering. I can't get any play at 12 and 6 (clock reference). I feel the most in the drivers floor at any speed. It's pretty loud. I rotated tires and it didn't change anything. What is the best brand of hub assembly to go back?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
only at 3and 6 sounds like a tie rod end to me

OP
OP
J

jasonkelly

Reaction score
I put a new set of tires on and it helped some. My problem now is when I turn the wheel, at any speed, to the left I get some impressive vibration in the steering wheel. I changed the passenger side hub assembly and it made no difference. I put the old hub assembly back on the passenger side and replaced the drivers side with no difference. The up side is I am a beast at changing hub assemblies.
I have read threads about power steering lines too small, transfer case issues and novels of rear differiential problems. I too am getting the "rumble strip" acceleration on turns. I changed the diff oil with royal purple and still added a bottle of friction modifier, but it didn't solve the problem.
Is it possible that the worn rear diff is causing my front vibration...not likely I would think. But my thinking is getting me no where.
I took the Expedition to Ford dealership and they told me both my hub bearings were bad, and I needed new tires. My Expedition only has 53,000 on it. I find it hard to believe both could be bad and even discovered they aren't by changing them.
I had the front end aligned this week, no change and no problems with front suspension. What do I do?

Big Red

Reaction score
JasonKelly did you ever resolve the vibration with your Expy? I am encountering this problem myself now. It goes away after some freeway driving or "warm up" But it is so annoying. Thanks

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try jacking the front (or one tire at a time) and spinning the front wheels and see if you notice any noise or play.

Where do you feel the vibration, in the steering wheel or floor?