2007 5.4 Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calabash9ToeJig

Reaction score
Greetings. I've just recently purchased a 2007 Expedition EL and I'm looking at some ways to boost the fuel economy a bit (or a lot). It seems like most mods out there are performance-oriented.

So I'm looking at two things to start out with:
Either a tuner with economy tunes
-or-
63- or 57-series air charger from K&N

What do you think would be my best cost-to-benefit ratio? The tuners I've been looking at run from the low $300 range up to the high $400. I've been able to find the 63-series for as low as $248.
Eventually I'd like to do both, but what would you all start with?

TIA

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
biggest bang for ur buck is the programmer with the CAI or air charger...2nd biggest bang is the programmer...since ur a member 5startuning in the vendor section will give u a discount and will give u custom tunes to ur liking of what u want from ur truck...I think u get up to 5 custom tunes AND he makes them to go with ur upgrades like CAI and exhaust...$400...if money is tight hold out to get the programmer unless u just have to have something now which will be the CAI

OP
OP
Calabash9ToeJig

Calabash9ToeJig

Reaction score
biggest bang for ur buck is the programmer with the CAI or air charger...2nd biggest bang is the programmer...since ur a member 5startuning in the vendor section will give u a discount and will give u custom tunes to ur liking of what u want from ur truck...I think u get up to 5 custom tunes AND he makes them to go with ur upgrades like CAI and exhaust...$400...if money is tight hold out to get the programmer unless u just have to have something now which will be the CAI
Thanks for the reply 10K. Yeah, I figured the biggest effect would be both. Do you think it would need a reprogramming again after the installation of a CAI if I decided to go with the programmer first?

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply 10K. Yeah, I figured the biggest effect would be both. Do you think it would need a reprogramming again after the installation of a CAI if I decided to go with the programmer first?

Ideally, the tune should come last. If you're running a canned tune though it doesn't make a difference.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would reprogram it...it will only take 5 mins to do so it wont be a prob...

Ideally, the tune should come last. If you're running a canned tune though it doesn't make a difference.

just reprogram...take to stock and program again and it should be good cuz the previous program will be deleted and reset

RoryTheFerret

Reaction score
I don't think there's any way to improve your fuel economy above stock, keep in mind they recently put in the eco-boost engine into the expedition and it didn't really help it much.

The reason is that basically they cannot significantly improve the combustion of the engine to make it use less fuel all they can do now is improve the fuel economy for when you're not using the engine to it's full potential. This is why manufacturers are downsizing the cylinders and basically engine volumes in an effort to use less gas while idling or putting down the road.