2009 expedition can't put more than 18 gallons of gas in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tolobill

Reaction score
Hello, had codes 1450 and 0455, cleared those, put in new purge valve on back of motor by firewall. Put in new filler neck from top to bottom, put on new vent solenoid on charcoal canister Wha could possibly still preventing me from filling up thanks.

tvlunn

Reaction score
The tank needs to "breathe" while filling. Is your vent line plugged or collapsed??

OP
OP
T

tolobill

Reaction score
as I said whole new filler pipe and all the lines that go with it, as in vent line.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know that your fuel level (gauge reading) is accurate?

That is, it may have a reading like you only have 5 gallons in the tank, but may actually have 10 (to use a random number) and therefore may only be able to get 18 gallons in the tank.

I apologise if you covered this in another post. I just saw this on my phone.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What could possibly still preventing me from filling up

My first Expedition (1 gen) after the gas nozzle clicked off as full I could get another 8 gallons in the tank slowly. I checked the vent the fill tube and looked at everything (without pulling the tank) and never could find the problem.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure there are no kinks in any of the lines. This would prevent you from filling the tank as it can not properly breathe. That was my issue when the fuel pump was replaced in my ‘04 Expedition. One of the new lines had a slight kink. Causing the vehicle to not completely fill, and spitting out any excess all over you. ‍♂️

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As suggested, I would suspect the tank is not empty when you are trying to fill it up, this is why you only get 18 gallons in. Have you tried carrying a gallon can of fuel,and driving until the engine stops? You then know the tank is really empty, you risk sucking crap from the bottom of the tank into your fuel filter, but that would tell you if it’s your fuel gauge that is wrong and causing you to fill up to soon, or if you can really only get 18 gallons in your tank.