2010 Expy - Ticking noise and check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
This noise happened a couple nights ago with a check engine light. Took to mechanic the next day and no code was saved and it ran and sounded fine. i will be taking back when it happens again so he can diagnose but what do you guys think would cause this?

He seemed surprised when I showed him the video and def said it could cause serious issues.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camphaser sound like its knocking, most likely needs a timing job. Timing chains, timing chain tensioners and guides, camphasers should all be done. Phaser is probably broken apart or slipping on the camshaft making metal to metal grinding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply JExpedition! I have driven Toyota's and Hondas for the last 15 years so getting up to speed on this engine type with timing chain.

Who knows how long it will take for the code and noise to happen again. Do you think a mechanic can just take it apart and see what would need to be fixed?

I'm afraid of issues happening when I am ice fishing out on Lake of the Woods if you guys want to see how remote that is.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply JExpedition! I have driven Toyota's and Hondas for the last 15 years so getting up to speed on this engine type with timing chain.

Who knows how long it will take for the code and noise to happen again. Do you think a mechanic can just take it apart and see what would need to be fixed?

I'm afraid of issues happening when I am ice fishing out on Lake of the Woods if you guys want to see how remote that is.

What perplexes me is that you say it went away, normally when a camphaser starts going bad or breaking apart internally it will knock all the time like this but it could still be starting to go out. Did you have adequate oil pressure when this noise occurred?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't noticed the most obvious in your post, that it has sufficient oil, and oil pressure. I'm going to assume the obvious that it does. Barring that, normally when a cam phaser or timing chain acts up, you know it. It runs like crap, sounds like a diesel. You've got a few choices if all checks out oil/ code wise. You can ride it out, not advisable but most do it anyway, or do as you stated tear into it early, and fix it now. Latter is desirable.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
I don't recall checking the oil pressure when it was happening but oil capacity has been fine.

I will keep a close eye on it or maybe even have the mechanic just check the timing chain, guides and replace it all. I'd rather spend 1k then 6k or whatever an engine would be.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FordTechMakuloco on YouTube said he charges $1,600 out the door with all OEM parts for a timing job just for a figure. He has it down to a science though and can do it much quicker than most mechanics as he knows these 5.4L engines better than the back of his hand.

OP
OP
W

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
Hey All, I'm back as I found a mechanic I trust to track down this noise and check engine light. It was hard to follow all of the information he went through but basically 7 trouble codes said low oil pressure on top end of engine. The damn truck runs great but when I pull my Ice House sometimes the noise above happens and trips the codes and the codes clear as when I drive it normally it runs great.

Well he got the truck to act up while testing and foudn the oil pressure at 15 when ford spec is over 28 and could do a top end but recommends a new engine as he notes this 3v is pretty much garbage.

So I will go through the numbers tomorrow with him and options but I imagine like 8k for new Ford engine so i am leaning to trade this bad boy back in to the dealership that sold it to me for a 2016 Ecoboost.

Just wanted to check back in and see what you guys thought about the newer Ecoboost vs a new engine in this one or even an option of putting in a salvaged vehicle engine.

Thanks, I have learned so much on this site and we are leaning to stay with an Expy EL as we don't love the new Suburbans and they cost too damn much anyway.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey All, I'm back as I found a mechanic I trust to track down this noise and check engine light. It was hard to follow all of the information he went through but basically 7 trouble codes said low oil pressure on top end of engine. The damn truck runs great but when I pull my Ice House sometimes the noise above happens and trips the codes and the codes clear as when I drive it normally it runs great.

Well he got the truck to act up while testing and foudn the oil pressure at 15 when ford spec is over 28 and could do a top end but recommends a new engine as he notes this 3v is pretty much garbage.

So I will go through the numbers tomorrow with him and options but I imagine like 8k for new Ford engine so i am leaning to trade this bad boy back in to the dealership that sold it to me for a 2016 Ecoboost.

Just wanted to check back in and see what you guys thought about the newer Ecoboost vs a new engine in this one or even an option of putting in a salvaged vehicle engine.

Thanks, I have learned so much on this site and we are leaning to stay with an Expy EL as we don't love the new Suburbans and they cost too damn much anyway.

The ecoboost is a good engine with relatively low problems, everyone I know with them has liked them.... they aren’t trouble free either of course, they also suffer from breaking timing chain guides and tensioners as well as timing chain stretch as they age. You won’t find anyone on here with problems with them obviously because the motor has only been out since 2015 in these trucks. that being said it sounds like it’s time to ditch that mechanic, there is likely no engine damage if it still had pressure and most likely needs an oil pump. If he’s a good mechanic he’d check out your current engine for damage and if there is none, should do an oil pump and timing job. Good mechanics don’t test for oil pressure, see it go low once and tell you to scrap an engine, sorry but if my mechanic ever did that I likely wouldn’t go back. All the 3 valves we have owned have ran and ran if you take care of them, there’s a guy in this forum with 500,000 on his 2005 all original. Calling an engine with some known VCT issues garbage is not very professional. All of Fords offerings in those years had problems (6.0 and 6.4 diesels). The simple fact is....... ford isn’t as good as GM at making a motor, you never see people do a ford swap but GM LS swaps are done all the time, but they still make *good* engines, just more finicky across the board.

Last edited: