2013 rear audio controls and heater issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPExpy

Reaction score
Hello, new to forum and really not great at forum in general. Hah, so please excuse me.

just purchased a 2013 XLT EL for my growing family, we LOVE IT!!!

issue im having is this.

rear climate will blow cold air but it won’t blow hot. Any ideas? Cold air works like a charm and warm works up front but when I try to turn the heat to any setting it stops blowing in the rear. You can hear it still working like it’s trying to cycle.

my rear audio controls and climate controls do not work. They are enabled from the front head unit, but I cannot control anything from the rear unit. I have tried to disable and enable the controls but they remain unresponsive. The RCA connectors work poorly, the left channel works but the right channel does not.

somehow I have to imagine the rear control unit (what is this actually called?) is what’s causing the heater and non functioning buttons?

If anyone has any tips or tricks that would be amazing. A simple fix would be something I could take on myself. I can’t seem to locate a video on how to remove the rear control unit.

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its anything like the 2nd gen you have to disassemble the center console to get at it. Not hard but takes a few min with basic tools. Being it's all pretty much not working it's probably worth removing to inspect the harness that runs back there. It could be the panel itself but the rcas aren't anything fancy and if they are suspect there is probably damage somewhere.

It's a different console in my 2003 but if you search my content theres a thread where a new radio and some new connectivity went in and resulted in a console removal to modify some things. It give you an idea as to what is what.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your rear system should blow cold air from the ceiling using AC --or-- hot air from the floor when using heat. Ducts for heat are under the seats. So if you have the heat cranked up and aren't getting warm air from the overhead vents, thats normal and should be expected. You shouldn't feel cold air when heat is on.

There are two actuators in the rear blend box located in the passenger side rear quarter panel. One actuator controls temp, the other controls air ducts. When these actuators go bad you'll hear a slight clicking noise. Its the plastic gears inside that break. Tons of relevant content on this site.

But considering your combined rear audio control issue, I'd suspect the rear unit has gone bad. Maybe accidentally kicked hard enough -- I'd start there. Haven't torn mine apart but suspect getting to it would be from the front console. Allegedly the entire front console disassembles easily.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 blew heat from the ceiling and so does my 2017. Did they temporarily not do that for a few years?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 also has heat from ceiling, or floor, has a selection button by the rear controls on the upper console. Used it halloween night to truck the kids around in the snow and rain.