2014 Drivers Seat switch "panel" breaks and fixed. . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skywagon

Reaction score
My 2014 EL model has 4 switches on the drivers seat controls shroud/panel. A plastic molding piece wrapped around the seat, left side. That panel plastic snap-to-hold pieces broke and was hanging partly loose. This piece is very likely to be broken at some time due to sliding ones butt into the seat and putting too much pressure on this plastic shroud.
Finding the correct part number is a bit of a nightmare. I had 4 Ford suppliers swear they were sending me the right part (for 4 seat switches) and they were all wrong. These "$10" pieces of plastic are expensive also; over $100 in many cases. Shopping on-line will turn up lower costs.

During this wasted time of receiving and returning the parts I got to wondering how to fix the attachment points that were broken inside. Carefully, reviewing, I decided that no amount of gluing would have the strength to repair it. Finally, I noted that towards the rear of the panel is a fairly strong plastic boss on the mating part to this panel. And, with careful alignment I was able to drill a single, non-offensive, hole to take an 1.5" metal threaded screw. This worked out fine for reattaching the panel. If you have the same failure, look for this "boss" behind the broken panel.

In the attached image, that boss location is about where the "red" hex is marked. Get the panels remaining attachment points lined up and clicked in, then, place the screw. It will hold the panel in place.

ford seat 2B2.jpg

rsl4evr

Reaction score
Mine is broken as well and I'm not only amazed at how expensive a replacement is, but how ridiculous it is to locate the correct piece!

I figure this is a better choice since I'm sure we'll end up breaking replacement piece eventually as well.

Any chance you can post a picture after the drilling?

WoodrowUSMC

Reaction score
Skywagon,
Thanks for the information it's a real money saver.
On my 2014 Expedition the panel is still good so I'm keeping this for reference. My brother-in-laws 2011 the panel is broken so I'm passing this along to him.

ssmock

Reaction score
Thinking about doing this myself. Ford parts counter can hook me up with the right plastic parts to fix mine for about $250. Used my vin# to get the right parts numbers and trim color. Still $250 for a couple of plastic trim parts that will do the same thing again! Maybe a junk yard or one of those pick and pull places would be an option.

WiseCraig

Reaction score
Here's my info on this (2012 Expedtion EL):
1. Paint - Krylon Camouflage Flat Ultra (tan)
2. #10 Screw Covers from Home Depot
3. #10 1.5 inch Flat Head Philips screws
4. Drill holes
5. Paint screw covers
6. Screw in w/ screw covers

Attachments

• 1. Paint Krylon Camouflage Flat Ultra (tan).jpg
    1. Paint Krylon Camouflage Flat Ultra (tan).jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 2. #10 Screw Covers from Home Depot.jpg
    2. #10 Screw Covers from Home Depot.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 21