2015 Ecoboost - Humming from Front Driver Side Wheel in 4A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron407

Reaction score
I noticed on the weekend that our 2015 Navigator (same engine/drivetrain as an Expedition but a heftier price tag) had a subtle but more noticeable humming noise specifically from the front driver side wheel area when driving at highway speeds in 4A. The sound goes away completely after switching to 2WD, sounds almost like light engine braking, and is not really noticeable under about 55 MPH. I've noticed other people mentioning noise related to IWE still partially locked when switching to 2A, but I haven't found info on noise only when in 4A. Would it be worth changing out the 4WD solenoid and check valve to rule them out since they're reasonably cheap? Any ideas of what else it could be? It sounds like it's coming specifically from the one corner, so I'm leaning away from transfer case issues, but I'm not sure.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed on the weekend that our 2015 Navigator (same engine/drivetrain as an Expedition but a heftier price tag) had a subtle but more noticeable humming noise specifically from the front driver side wheel area when driving at highway speeds in 4A. The sound goes away completely after switching to 2WD, sounds almost like light engine braking, and is not really noticeable under about 55 MPH. I've noticed other people mentioning noise related to IWE still partially locked when switching to 2A, but I haven't found info on noise only when in 4A. Would it be worth changing out the 4WD solenoid and check valve to rule them out since they're reasonably cheap? Any ideas of what else it could be? It sounds like it's coming specifically from the one corner, so I'm leaning away from transfer case issues, but I'm not sure.

Often a humming sound indicates a wheel bearing issue.

The solenoid and check-valve would not cause a humming noise. If one or both were defective, it could cause an issue with the IWE hub engagement, which sounds like a clicking noise (such as taking an empty 12-oz. aluminum soda pop can and trying to bend it).

OP
OP
A

Aaron407

Reaction score
Normally I would think wheel bearing when there's humming, except that it goes away in 2WD and it doesn't really vary in tone depending on speed. It's a bit more 'rough' of a sound than a consistent hum as well. When I was thinking about the IWE, I was wondering about the possibility of it not having fully engaged and having something rubbing. I'll probably jack it up and check for play in the wheel bearing just to rule it out, though, and maybe manually toggle the 4WD to see if things are locking and unlocking properly. We have had issues with the IWE system on that wheel before, but it seemed to be remedied a couple of times by replacing the check valve.

OP
OP
A

Aaron407

Reaction score
Update:

Now the humming is still there in both modes, but the tone drops slightly when I switch from 4A to 4x2. When I switch from 4x2 to 4A at speed, the humming sound briefly goes away completely, then comes back. I discovered that if I stop and turn the steering wheel full left (haven't tried full right), I can drive for about a quarter mile with no humming sound before it abruptly comes back. I also found that if I play with the throttle a bit at about 65 MPH, I can get it to briefly stop humming for about a second, but downshifting to 5th or 4th doesn't change it. Maybe vacuum related, but I'm not sure.

I jacked up the corner and toggled the AWD mode and it seemed to operate as expected in terms of locking to the axle. However, starting in 4A, I then cranked the wheel all the way to the left and noticed that it wouldn't switch - the IWE was locked in in both modes and there was no vacuum on the line. However, I straightened out the wheels and switched to 4x2, which it did just fine, then turned the wheel full left again. This time it had vacuum on the line as expected.

So, I'm trying to figure out a couple of things:

-Will the system not allow unlocking the IWE when at full steering lock?
-Is this maybe just intermittent/weak vacuum being applied to the IWE? I replaced the actuator, which made no difference. I had replaced the check valve a few years ago, but maybe it's the issue again? Blowing into it from each side suggested it was working, but maybe not well enough.

Anyway, I'm hoping for some thoughts. If I need to replace the IWE, no big deal, but I don't want to go through all of that if the issue is elsewhere.

07mustangman

Reaction score
Had a problem in my 2011 with the four-wheel drive doing the same thing in the front. It turned out to be the airline was broke almost completely in two going from one wheel to the further in the front. Had already replaced the solenoid and check valve and that didn't help. Might want to check your line that goes from one side in the front to the other and also at the wheels.

OP
OP
A

Aaron407

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look. Considering that it can be in a spot where it's "happy", or at least not making the humming noise, it really seems like a vacuum issue.

07mustangman

Reaction score
Glad I could help. I tested my hubs with vacuum pump to make sure they operate ok. Found some videos on YouTube about how to test them. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

Aaron407

Reaction score
Yeah, I plan on jacking it back up and putting my hand vacuum pump on, then rotating the hub to see if it still holds vacuum properly in case the seal is bad. The lack of vacuum switching from 4wd to 2wd at full left lock is a weird thing, though. I haven't found anything online that says it would be blocked from switching, which makes me wonder if maybe there's a vacuum line problem, maybe at the other wheel, that fully loses vacuum when turned to the left. Lots of troubleshooting to do at any rate.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
My 16' basically does the same thing for years. I think it's normal. The cabin is very quiet so you are hearing the transfer case and power transfer. I've put mine on jack stands and checked it out. 4A drops my fuel mileage by 2 mpg so I only use when roads are wet or snowy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire