2015 Expedition Worn out Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've noticed recently that my 2015 Expedition with 43K miles will rock slightly 3-4 times before coming to a rest after I rock the car it a sideways motion. Is this a sign of worn out shocks/struts? I am the second owner of the car, and it had 22K on it when I purchased it from CarMax, so I can't vouch for whether it had any hard usage with it's previous owner. 43K does seem kind of low to me for a vehicle that spends it's time on road.

Thanks!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It wouldn't be unusual for OEM shocks to show some signs of wear by 43K. Whether or not you feel the need to replace them though is up to you. You may also want to check the rear struts though (assuming they still use struts in rear in '15). I've had 2 Ford struts completely blow out on my Expedition. My mom had both rears blow out at under 10K on her '15 Explorer. In my experience, Ford's struts are just junk.

OP
OP
2015owner2015

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check that out. I wouldn't necessarliy be in a rush to replace them, although I'd like to get some performance aftermarket struts to replace them. I'm just about to put new tires on though and thinking this could affect tire ware.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've noticed recently that my 2015 Expedition with 43K miles will rock slightly 3-4 times before coming to a rest after I rock the car it a sideways motion. Is this a sign of worn out shocks/struts? I am the second owner of the car, and it had 22K on it when I purchased it from CarMax, so I can't vouch for whether it had any hard usage with it's previous owner. 43K does seem kind of low to me for a vehicle that spends it's time on road.

Thanks!

I bought a new 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4. At about 6,000 miles, the RF shock began leaking fluid. It was noticed by the service mechanic at the dealership when I was having the oil changed and tires rotated. It was replaced under warranty.

You may want to turn your front wheel so you can see inside the wheel well and see if the shocks are leaking. You can crawl under the rear to inspect those.

Good luck.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off you can't check shocks or struts by rocking. You need to bounce on bumper or fender. A functioning unit should bounce one to one and a half then stop, usually with a Stiction sound. I can't speak for new vehicles, but back in the 70's through 90's, we recommended to customers replace shocks at 25k, and struts at 50k. This was only a guideline of course. Shock wear is like brake wear, no two people are the same. I've seen one customer go 100k on their shocks/struts, whereas another wipes theirs out at 20k. Some people drive their cars to last, some drive like it's a rental! The leaking shocks at that low of mileage tells me Ford is putting in made in Mexico/ China parts. You'd think at $70,000, they'd put in parts that last. As I've always said, you can hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qatarguy

Reaction score
I bought my 2011 Expedition with 33k miles on it, and the shocks were shot. Speed humps were a nightmare with lots of bouncing involved. While having it checked out, found the lower ball joints shot as well.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when ball joints on cars/trucks would go over 100k, even without grease fittings. It's a shame how such a nice truck comes with such cheap parts. And on top of that the outrageous prices that they charge for the vehicles . SUVs costing as much as houses did 30 years back, should at least last long enough to finish the payments, before you have to replace unnessasary parts.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has been addressed several times before here and yes several above are right. Ford's OEM Struts are garbage. I bought my 2011 new and went thru 2 sets before 20,000 miles. All (4) leaking at 5000 miles, replaced under warranty. Second OEM set, all leaking by 15,000 miles with no warranty at that point. (and I did not want a third set of OEM struts at that point anyway) Had the dealer put on Bilstein and the truck rides better than new. Do your self a favor and get Bilstein. You won't regret it.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember when ball joints on cars/trucks would go over 100k, even without grease fittings. It's a shame how such a nice truck comes with such cheap parts. And on top of that the outrageous prices that they charge for the vehicles . SUVs costing as much as houses did 30 years back, should at least last long enough to finish the payments, before you have to replace unnessasary parts.

With the escalation in prices over the last 30 - 40 years, if they put the same quality components, ball joints, etc., the cost of the vehicle would be $200,000. In 1972 my dad bought an Olds Cutlass Supreme and paid $4200 out the door, similar sized cars today are 10 times the cost.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, but the parts aren't gold plated. Putting a quality part on a vehicle that's $55-$75 thousand is not too redicuolus. After all it's not as if their charging $30k for the vehicle. It's just an example of how the manufacturers can put on lower quality parts that fails right after the warranty. It's all about profit margins.